Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Andy J Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:01 pm
Cycle Heaven 6.30 anyone?

by nickb Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:23 pm
Beat me to it Andy.

Should be there.

by Rob Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:31 pm
Fully intend to be there.

by A Atkin Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:13 am
FLOOD WATCH!

The back road between Bishopthorpe and Acaster Malbis is currently flooded. On Sunday it was as least as deep as my handlebars (trust me on this!). This may change your plans.

This is Anthony Atkin reporting for Clifton CC Weather.

by PhilBixby Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 am
That road floods on a fairly regular basis, but I really, really want to know how you got such a precise measurement!!

by A Atkin Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:05 pm
It was quite shallow to begin with...then it got a bit less shallow and my feet got a bit wet...then it got even less shallow. At that point I realised I was already wet so I might as well carry on.. and then I went round the corner, realised there was still about 500M (that's aprox 500 yrds in old money) to go. By the time I'd turned round the bar tape and most of my legs was soaking. Still, cleaned most of the grime of my bike!

Top Tip of the Day: If you see a big puddle, go round!

by IanH Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:48 pm
I should be there, might just need my mask and snorkel

by nickb Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:52 pm
I did the same new years eve but turned around when it reached my hubs!

We could just go down the main road to avoid the riverside and still go round the airfield?

by Arthur Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:06 pm
Yes if you go all the way to the end and not round the back at all. The route you normally take floods both a the Ship Inn and by the boatyard (on the 90 degree RH turn in Acaster Malbis as you're heading out).

The airfield tends to be ok. It may have standing water on but that'll should be it.

by HowardD Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:27 pm
I'll be there
by Helen Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Guys

If you carry straight on down the main road take plenty of tubes the farmer was out hedge cutting today between the cross roads and T junction.

Lots and lots of mucky puddles round the airfield so that snorkel could be useful

Helen

by PhilBixby Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:09 pm
Yup, further reports on this as I went through there lunchtime.

Lots of minor flooding around the airfield, plus the dyke beside the road on the way into Appleton Roebuck has obviously been over the road recently and looks set to flood again. As Helen says, lots of hawthorn trimmings too! Mind you, it's not just these roads - it's VERY sloshy everywhere. But.. ..it's not as cold as recently, it's not raining much and the wind's dropped.

by NickScull Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:12 pm
You were looking good guys when i drove past by Middlethorpe. Who was the new guy on the back riding flat bars and with a pannier?