Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by cath Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:39 pm
Recently, we were approached by British Cycling, who we are affiliated to, about the possibility of establishing a youth development program in York area Secondary Schools.

This might initially take the form of skills training sessions in schools and lead on to more club oriented activities such as off-road rides and events/activities aimed at junior riders. BC would also be interested in working with Clifton to achieve 'Go Ride' status which is their accreditation for 'children friendly' cycle clubs.

There are obvious long-term benefits for the club: establishing links with local communities, creating a junior membership base, raising our profile within the area in a very positive way as well as encouraging cycle sport.

Getting involved in this project would require a firm, long-term commitment from Clifton:- coaches and ride-leaders would need to be BC qualified (schoolteachers get this training for free, by the way).

This item is being added to the agenda at the AGM, but opinions, ideas and discussion on this subject is welcome prior to that.

For further information: www.go-ride.org.uk

by charlie Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:37 pm
If you want me to find anything out for you or ask any questions then let me know. I share an office with the BC Go-ride development team at BC HQ

email: charlieevans@britishcycling.org.uk

by Dr Dave Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 pm
As a parent of 2 youngsters I have a vested interest in encouraging this sort of thing - the development of younger riders and of a junior membership etc sounds very positive. I know other parents who have commented on the lack of organised/structured cycling available for children in the area and would be likely to take up something like this.

I only wish I had some free time in my diary to offer some form practical time commitment.

by Helen Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:36 pm
Based on my experience at school this kind of project will work if you have a group of people who take it up and make it their main focus.

Our group at school limps along whilst the local scouts with a committed group of adults have built up cycling in their meetings and are tackling the coast to coast this year.

I sadly do not have the time to commit to such a challenge.
Helen