Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:14 am
There was a HUGE gathering on Saturday, so I'm assuming there will be a fair few postings to follow! Seven of us did the "traditional" Malton/Terrington training ride, reckoning that being any more adventurous on the backroads would be likely to result in icy roads. As it was, we got a brief pelting with hail and there was ice on the edges of many of the roads, but it warmed, the sun appeared now and then, and it was vaguely pleasant by the return leg. About 17½mph including a couple of lengthy pee stops - so round about Nick's predicted 18mph for 2½hrs, and a good ride.

by nickb Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:58 pm
Good ride yesterday as Phil said.
After getting in, showered and eaten im still sat here with a coffee resting after this mornings training ride! Started off with 7 of us, Steve W cut it very short due to a nose bleed, we lost Iain Milns and Dave Byworth out of Norton but got in 57miles avg spd 18mph with some big hills and painfully strong headwinds. Stayed dry though and i think everyone got a very good workout!

by Andy J Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:06 pm
Training ride was hard, riding down into Givendale pedalling into a head wind only managing around 16mph about sums up the conditions, stayed dry though so not all bad. Door to door was 63 miles for me in 3 1/2 hours, already looking forward to next week.

by Arthur Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:42 pm
Friday I had three pints, Saturday morning I was broken. I'm clearly too old to drink beer.

Sunday I made it to the square to find one solitary person hopefully waiting for anyone else for the cafe stop ride. What happened to it?

I chased after the training ride that had just left, but dispite doing the fist 30 mins at a smidge under 20mph average, didn't catch them, so settled down to a steady ride. Then got caught by the training ride just as I'd totally let the pace go for the final run into York back down Stockton Lane. Really, I was going faster! 80 km nearly all solo and I can youch for the 'painfully strong headwinds'.

Next week, I will try again to actually meet up with people.

by MarkA Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:40 pm
Sounds like some useful mileage being done by people
A slightly less useful couple of hours only for me today
One of those where didn't feel so good for the first hour but seemed to get into it as i tacked back into the wind

by ClaireG Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:07 pm
Kevin's Sat ride took in a circuitous route to Millington. It's not that easy with such a wide range of abilities to keep everyone happy, but Kevin made some onboard route adjustments to accomodate those who were out and he was able to devise a plan to drop a few off early at Millington, then taking the majority up The Pastures and some of us off towards Warter and then back to meetup in Millington via Nunburnholme and Kilhelm Percy - good choice!

A roaring fire in Millington, we took over 4 tables and made both our days! Fairly direct route back, managed to avoid punctures despite meeting the grim reaper (sorry, hedge trimmer) head-on!

60 miles on the clock and a happy bunch.

by Tullio Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:56 pm
3 of us entered the MTB Lanequest at East Gilling on Saturday; I entered as a 'Generation Team' with Seb and Jeff entered his first event.

Despite 9am start and sub zero temperatures, there was a good turnout of about 30 riders. A warm pub at the end for lunch was very welcome.

Today I managed to queeze in about 40 miles battling wind and showers on the roads around Knaresborough.

by Dr Dave Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am
Took the bikes out to Easingwold by car on Saturday with the missus at 8:15am. Got in a relaxed 20 miles via Ampleforth but lots of ice made things a bit treacherous and it was a bit nippy on the toes first thing. Not perhaps ideal but better than not getting a ride at all!

by Tullio Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 am
Dr Dave,

Did your route go past the PH in East Gilling?? Saw a chap in a Clifton Jersey, at the start of the Lanequest, go past with an attractive female companion and didn't recognise you. I was the one in the road you nearly ran over!

Paul

by Dr Dave Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:13 pm
PaulC wrote:Dr Dave,

Did your route go past the PH in East Gilling?? Saw a chap in a Clifton Jersey, at the start of the Lanequest, go past with an attractive female companion and didn't recognise you. I was the one in the road you nearly ran over!

Paul

So that's what all those strange MTB types were doing! ;)

Yes, we were a bit embarassed to be tootling along at a gentle pace wearing club colours (a bit like I was last Wedneday evening!)

by Dave B Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:18 am
I had a reasonable, steady ride out on some of the back lanes around Wharfedale on Saturday afternoon. Marred a bit, however, by getting a puncture only 5 minutes after setting off - turned out to be caused by having ridden over a wood screw which managed to embed its pointy end in my back tyre! I didn't think that sort of thing actually happened in real life, just in the realm of comics and cartoon strips (possibly involving "Acme" brand carpet tacks?) :?

Dave B