Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Willy H Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:46 pm
With people rushing to sign-up for the White Rose Classic (and I found that somehow it had already found a way into my 2008 diary!!!) don't forget the REAL Classic dales ride, the Dales Grimpeur!

This is an event for true connoisseurs of extended torture: as a warm-up the start in Pately Bridge rears up within a few hundred metres for about a mile of bottom gear heave-ho, and then the ride takes all the classic Dales climbs, Buttertubs, Fleet Moss, Park Rash, the lot! The choices are:

215kms and 4596m of undulations
186kms and 3901m
145kms and 3251m

This Audax event is rated the 2nd toughest in UK, the No 1 slot I think goes to a Welsh ride.

The best bit is at the end, with a superb fast run-in along the reservoir to the multi-course supper laid-on by Sean Flynn and missus F.

We've always had a good few Clifton regulars driving over, so transport there should not be an impediment.

And while you're all committing your weekends, don't forget the other local Audaxes we tend to add colour to:

13 April: ' Three Bridges' : this is a Mark Antrobus special (date may change?)

3 May: 'The Wiggy' rides: 100 or 300kms for the greedy ones

24th August: 'Tan Hill Challenge', another Mark Antrobus production.

So, hurry to www.audax.uk.net

by Willy H Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:59 pm
Oh...this Grimpeur is on Saturday May 31, so legs will be in shape again for White Rose the w/e after.

by MarkA Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:41 am
I spoke at last committe meeting about idea for a Clifton Challenge ride series - comprising mostly our "own" events, with at least a couple of events for everybody

I haven't forgotten about this and hope to get ideas up on website this weekend.

I am also happy to take lead from members and include While Rose event - at least for this year - seeing as so many people have entered. Sounds great.

But i agree with Willy - the Dales Grimpeur is the original "Classic"

My problem with the sportif style events is they encourage people to ride as individuals. However I in no sense want to ignore them as they are v popular and members often wish to use as a target for season etc. I have done the same thing myself in the past.

The idea of the challenge series was to encourage members to ride as part of club rather than individuals. So i propose there is room for both events to be classed as "gold" qualifying events.

I am happy to liase as Rob has done in the past to take a group around the Dales Grimpeur Audax. This will go at the pace of the slowest Clifton rider and regroup at the top of each hill.

If you want to ride both please do so - but only one medal awarded (more details on reward structure to follow)

by Dr Dave Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:40 pm
Mark did anything come of this?

by MarkA Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:05 pm
Mark did anything come of this?

Indeed it did
Details of the Clifton Challenge Series 2008 to appear in Cliftonite currently at the printers!

Qualifying events will hopefully make it into the on line Calendar tomorrow
Might be the day after before i get chance to knock a page together for the website
I didn't really want to take the edge off opening your Cliftonites by running a "spoiler" but appreciate people have diaries to plan etc