Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Broom Wagon Sat May 04, 2024 5:14 pm
Sadly no Inters club run this week but Thursday was such a lovely day I couldn't resist a ride to the coast. A lovely route I often take: over the climb past the transmitter mast at Acklam Wold, down through Birdsall then that lovely undulating climb towards Wharram Le Street, via Bempton then a stop for good coffee at Blu Savannah near Sewerby Hall. Back home over that long climb from Kirkburn to Huggate - what a gorgeous day it was: rolling green hills, fields of yellow rape and the blue of the sea. At Bempton I thought I saw Jonas Vingegaard coming towards me - it could only be him, given the lean athlete's physique, but then I remembered Vingegaard is injured and it was in fact our very own Steen training for those 1000km rides he does. It was nice to take the Supersix Evo out - I've had it a year and rarely used it owing to the weather, it will never be used in the wet. First time I've ridden it since I got the stearer cut down, by York Cycleworks, to about as low as I can go. I'm on the cusp of lower back ache on it, so more planking required just in case, but it feels great, so aggressive. I can see why the pros like their bars really low. Into a headwind on the way out I could comfortably sit at 16-18 mph, I'd have worked harder doing 15mph on my Decathlon special.

Next Saturday is Keith Benton's Wiggy Audax:
https://www.audax.uk/event-details/10738-www_100
Clifton has a long tradition of doing local events and this one we'd field a good few riders not so long back. Hopefully you might join me in Clifton colours and do the ride. If you've never done an Audax why not give it a go for a glimpse into this facet of cycling. See you out on the road.