Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:42 pm
How did it go then?

How was the MTB ride?
How was Saturday training?
I've heard that there were 15 on the Saturday cafe run to Millington - how did it go?
Just 4 of us for the Sunday clubrun. A bit of a grey/damp day - but as I always say - it beats Xmas shopping.... Loop over the southern Wolds with a cafe at Millington - steaming gently in front of the open fire.

by Andy J Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm
I managed to get out for an hour at 8 this morning, spent the afternoon battling my way through the hoards of people in town, reminds me how much I hate xmas shopping.

by Tullio Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:53 pm
4 of us braved the wind and wet start for a MTB ride from Grewelthorpe, Nr Ripon. A gentle, 2 1/2 hour ride around the moors and tracks between Ripon and Nidderdale, in blustery but mostly dry conditions, followed by a pub lunch re-heating by the fire.

by Iain M Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:50 pm
Five of us rode the training ride on Saturday (on the traditional Malton loop). It was a fairly clear and bright morning, and I think we all had a good workout.

by paulM Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:22 pm
As one of the Millington 4 I'm trying to remember riding in rain as prolonged and heavy as that? I've not been that wet for a while - well two weeks to be precise but at least we didn't have the punctures we had then. 77 miles at dead on 15mph - a southerly than turned into a northerly so was never behind us. But it was still better than Christmas shopping and the company more than made up for the discomfort.

by ClaireG Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:25 pm
Kevin's Saturday ride, yes, saw 15 of us heading out Howsham, Leavening, Birdsall, Millington. Some good climbing into a stiff headwind up Birdsall......

In the cafe, Bernard described the route he'd taken Alan & Deb: up the steep narrow lane from Burythorpe to Birdsall, whilst the rest of us took the more traditional steadier ascent via Langton. I realised that I'd never ever ridden that one before and feel like I can't miss out on a lane so close to home, so perhaps will have to remedy that in the coming weeks.......

It seems that cafe stops and open fires are a bit of a theme this w/e.......and Millington fitted the bill perfectly.

Now in need of tips on how to shake off the cold, snot and aches that have ensued since........hopefully in time for us to enjoy the next club ride out dinner!

by mal Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:02 am
Grumpy rides again - didn't want to be holding people up at this time of year so yet another solo aching knee day followed by feet up recovering.

And now a question. I'm pretty sure that the aches and pains are down to not having the bike set up right, what's a good way of checking it out?

by Rob Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:58 pm
Mr Grumpy, after all these years I'd guess your bike set up must be pretty good. Indeed I don't remember seeing anything alarming during all those miles last year. Best way to check is to ask your mates on the clubrun to see if they can see anything obvious. I presume you eventually got those shoe plates sorted out? There's a page on the web site about position and set up - but I'd guess its only stuff you already know.

Maybe the achiness is more down to the cold/damp - worth keeping the knees as warm as possible. Also maybe sudden increase in miles/intensity after a few steady months?

Here endeth the long range diagnosis....

R

by charlie Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:44 pm
Its been a long time since I have been able to report any results, but I rode to 10th place in the Marin Winter Series round 2 at Thetford forest on sunday. 150 riders in my race, (2hr solo senior men), which made for an interesting start!. I started mid way back on the grid, and had fun picking my way through the field. After pre riding in dry conditions on saturday, the course completly changed for sunday with the rain that came along. Very slimey but good (hard!) fun! I think the rain and mud did me a favour actually, because it meant I could rely more on technical ability rather than the pure fitness that thetford normally requires (it is like a flatter version of sherwood pines for those unfamiliar with the forest).
Results should be on the BC site soon or see www.timelaps.co.uk.

PS Ive just entered the Bontrager twentyfour12 12 hr solo again for next July! Entries on line now if you are interested as is the BBC countryfile clip from 07(but it doesnt do the race justice) see www.xcracer.com or the link from the BC site

by paulM Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:23 am
Well done Charlie - sounds like a worthwhile trip to Thetford - imagine what you could do if you were training?

Mal - Robs probably right - your ailments could be due to the weather - winter miles can take their toll - weather / fitness / extra weight of you, bike, clothing etc. My knees were aching yesterday!
I'd be happy to have a look at your position in a slightly more accurate way than is given on the website. It is important to work out your correct position by measuring your inside leg and a few other vital statistics and keeping a note of them so you can calculate the correct position rather than leaving it to chance. This way you can set up all your bikes and be confident you have the correct position on each. If you want to give me a ring (750821) I'll try and sort you out. I don't have any qualifications in any of this but I've been measured up myself at Race Scene a couple of times and the position I was already using was pretty much the same and the saddle height I already had was exactly right. Having the correct position shouldn't be underestimated and working it out on "feel" is hopeless - there are too many ways of getting it wrong - only one of getting it right!

by charlie Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:27 am
Cheers for that Paul.

If Mal wants to catch me some time about position set up I'd be happy to help. I've spent a bit of time investigating cycling position/ergonomics during my undergrad and post grad studies.

Let me know if interested and we can sort something out...