Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by craigdabrown Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:00 am
A word of warning to all our Members and fellow cyclists.

Please avoid or take extreme care when using Westerns Lane, which runs northwest between Markington and Fountains Abbey. There's an innocuous looking, large puddle of water which seems to be there permanently now, a warning first appeared on one of our WhatsApp channels back in April. Although pretty shallow, it is extremely slippy under the surface and has caused numerous cyclists to come off and resulted in some serious injuries.

Ian Hagyard, one of the most experienced cyclists in the Club, was the latest victim. Ian lost traction while riding through the water last week and suffered numerous fractures to his pelvis and lower back as well as extensive bruising to his leg, arm and shoulder. Best wishes Ian, we hope you recover quickly from your injuries.

This stretch of road is very popular with our riders and is often incorporated into our Social Rides, so please use caution.

Westerns Lane.jpg
Westerns Lane, Northwest of Markington
Westerns Lane.jpg (74.63 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
by IanH Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:26 pm
I’ve just heard from a cyclist I’ve got to know who was also badly injured in the same place that I was and he said it is the same place and believes the guy seriously injured yesterday there had rode past the road closed signs which have been there for some time now since the Hazzard and several accidents were reported there just after mine, to be fair most of us have done the same just to see if we can get through which we often can.
Just to say if you are tempted to go down Westerns lane please don’t try to ride through the water even more so now that there’s a lot more water covering the roads, this hazard is approximately a few hundred metres past the Yorkshire riding centre travelling towards the Fountains Abbey road.

Are we there yet