Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by fatsprinter Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:01 pm
Could I please ask advice on where to MTB around Castle Howard/York. Where can you ride around York and where would one set off/return from? I don't mind putting the MTB on the roof of the car, but would also like to ride from home in Acomb. Any ideas for routes that would be 2/3 hours? Many thanks for any ideas?

Fatsprinter (soon to become a dad) :D

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by Tullio Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:02 am
Best knowledge of the Castle Howard area belongs to Rob. There are a few good loops around there that could probably keep you busy for a couple of hours but it may well be quite boggy this time of year.

Alternatively, try the Wolds. This is Andy S's home ground and he knows a lot of rides. The Millington, Huggate, Fridaythorpe area is good and in easy reach of York. I haven't ridden it in winter though so unsure of the clag factor.

Failing that, there isn't much close to York, unless you're happy just riding flat bridleways. Riding from Acomb you can head west to the area around the Askhams, Wighill, Taddy, Bilton and Taddy where you can find some bridleways but this time of year you'd need to really enjoy cleaning your bike afterwards.

Why not come and join us MTBers near Ripon on 1st Dec?

by MarkA Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:07 am
I think Ian Toyn compiled a list of short rides starting from York once?

if I want an hour spin from the groves i head out on the cycle path direction James St and then sneak through to walmgate stray

directly across (behind the univ if that makes sense) brings you out near fulford golf club

from there a few options out the back of hes either via the playing field (outgang?) or towards what i think is called gypsy corner (??)

do a loop and alternate return routes include out at fulford and back along river or else across stray to barracks and again back along river via millenium bridge

you can extend by the right of way alongside golf course to crockey hill

its also good with the kids ie we can get across York and out and about hardly touching a road

by Rob Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:57 pm
There are indeed some half decent routes around CH. The geography is made up of terminal morraines from the last ice age with a series of ridges running E-W. There are loads of bridleways and you can link them up in variety of ways - just have a good look at the map. I'd rcommend parking up in Coneysthorpe - then the best ways up onto the northern ridge are out of the back of Coneysthorpe village or climb the lane towards Terrington and fork right at the highest point. Alternatively you can catch a chuffer to Malton and ride straight into the hills - I think Arthur has tried that?

Paul's right - it can get muddy. Its hard to predict where its muddy though - it partly depends on where the forestry commission have been working recently. But the late summer and autumn have been dry.

South of York, Skipwith Common can be good for a quick blast although you won't get more than 10m above sea level.

Have fun

R

Edit: PS. Mike keeps promising to take us around Yearsley - reckons there's some good stuff up there also.

by fatsprinter Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:05 pm
Many thanks for the ideas. Will try them out over the next few weekends.

What is happening at Ripon on December 1st?

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by Tullio Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:54 am
The December Club MTB ride. More details to follow but this one is intended to be accessible to all so a moderate pace and distance is planned.

May be some hangovers anyway as some will be partying the night away on the 30th!