Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:59 am
Have not written a ride report for a while, but this one justifies it.

Clifton Queen Stage: 6 riders. 255km, 3500m climbing, 6 major climbs (Greenhow, Fleets Moss, Buttertubs, Askrigg Common, The Fleak, Fleetham, Cote de Grinton Moor).

The Cima Coppi (1) (Fleets Moss) went to PeteP who wins his own weight in Wensleydale Cheese as a prize. Dan, DrJoe and Craig all rode considerably further than they ever had before. The 7th rider, AndrewL, had to get back early so turned for home at Kettlewell (over Park Rash) and still covered 195km! Special credit to Steen (who had to miss the event) and AndyG for helping me devise the route.

What a day!

Back to normality next Sunday. I can promise you a ride of around half this distance and less than half the climbing in the Wolds.....

(1) The Cima Coppi is the title given to the highest peak in the yearly running of the Giro d'Italia, one of cycling's Grand Tour races. (Wiki)
by craigdabrown Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 am
Just like to thank Rob, AndyG (and Steen) for devising a fantastic route on Sunday and to Dr. Joe, PeteP, Dan and AndrewL for joining the ride. It truly was, keeping the Wensleydale link, a grand day out.

The 7am start didn't actually feel too early at this time of year, honest, and although, and I know you'll find this hard to believe, I won the Private Fraser award for precipitation prediction pessimism in the Square, we were really lucky with the weather and only encountered one persistently heavy shower all day.

New roads, wonderful scenery, some incredibly steep climbs (not often that you look back and appreciate the bit of respite provided by Buttertubs), a vintage car and motorcycle time-trial/rally, 2 nice cafe stops, some great group riding and company that made a tough ride feel much easier than it ought to. And, just when we thought we'd seen it all, we came across the world's longest tractor rally - 33 (I think) tractors travelling from Liverpool to Whitby and back. We joined the pack for a few miles and went our separate ways just as the fumes and diesel on the road were becoming a bit of a concern.

Back home by about 7:30pm, feeling tired but extremely satisfied with one of the best cycling rides I've ever done.

Thanks guys.