Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:36 pm
The forecast for Sunday was for it to be a pretty mucky day, just the usual 4 in The Square. We had replanned to route to head out to Fewston, so we could turn for a tailwind home if the weather really deteriorated. Morning rain turned to sleet by Beckwithshaw, it was settling on the verges at Bland Hill, and on the road by the time we climbed away from Fewston to the Farm Shop cafe. Large wet flakes were by now travelling horizontally, and I've never seen a group get off the bikes and into a cafe so quickly!

By the time we re-emerged, the sun was poking between the clouds and we broke all the records back, with a ferocious tailwind. Thanks for the company once again chaps.

May make a bid for Fry-up Dale again this Sunday. Watch this space.
by craigdabrown Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 am
Given the forecast, another good turnout for the Inters Ride on Saturday, with 11 (ClaireG, MarkB, PeteS, NickM, NeilS, JohnB, RichardK, TonyN, IanW, IanH, and myself) heading to Thorp Perrow Arboretum. Strong, westerly headwind, a few of the out of town riders got a bit of a soaking on the way to the Square and NickM decided before Skelton that he'd let the legs warm up a bit again and do his own thing. He did ride, solo, to Masham. Bernard and Gill were also in the Square and did a "K" Ride to Boroughbridge/Knaresborough.

Usual springtime disparity in fitness levels, with some people having been lucky enough to ride throughout the winter and others either returning from illness or trying to step their pace and distance back up. Have to hold my hand up and say that I'm not particularly good at continually monitoring the group if I'm on the front and the windy conditions on the way out on Saturday made it particularly testing. Although I felt I was riding at a comfortable "Inters" pace and sheltering the Group from the worst of the wind, there were probably times when people were hanging on a bit too much. It's never deliberate, I just don't really chat that much when I'm riding, so just tend to plough on.

Anyway, we all got to the cafe stop at Thorp Perrow Arboretum safely enough and in one piece, secured sufficient tables inside and I have to say the service was excellent and the food arrived really quickly.

We changed the route slightly after lunch and headed straight across to Masham, through Grewelthorpe and then the Group pace picked up with the tailwind and it was me hanging on a bit, as we headed back to York. I'd trouble with my rear mech. and couldn't select the higher gears. Turns out that the cable had frayed to the last strand near the shifter and I was fortunate it didn't snap altogether.

JohnB spent most of the ride watching out for others, his legs gave up a bit around Boroughbridge and he decided to ride home at his own pace. Well done to everyone on getting another 80 plus miles under the belt. There probably wasn't enough of a Social element to the ride on the way out but I'm sure it'll stand us in good stead when conditions are more favourable.