Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by craigdabrown Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Good turnout for the Inters Ride to Driffield on Saturday, with 11 (Ginie, MarkB, PeteS, NickM, GrahamT, JohnB, RichardK, Dr. Joe, IanW, IanH, and myself) setting off from the Square and picking up Jai at Heworth. Bit of a south-westerly breeze, Dr. Joe and Ginie hit the front and set a speedy “get us out of town” pace through Stockton. Ginie’s cinnamon bagel with bacon, I’m sure that’s what she said, was obviously the breakfast to be on.

Dr. Joe had to be back early, so he turned left at Leavening and the rest of us continued up the climb, then down through Birdsall, out of North Grimston to Cowlam and a fast descent into Driffield.

IanH suggested that we give a new, to us, cafe, The Bike Cave, a try and it was pretty good, with space for bikes inside, nice staff and decent food. Attached to a bike shop, it’s also a handy place to know if there are any mechanical issues on the way out.

Not sure what they had for lunch, but when Graham stopped to take a phone call at Skerne and a couple of us went back to look for him, the rest swear that they stopped by a field containing hundreds of chickens and 3 alpacas.

Bit of a cross/headwind slog back through Tibthorpe, Huggate and Millington before a welcome tailwind into Stamford Bridge and back to York.

Quite a long day, it was after 5pm. by the time I got home, but nice to get another 85 miles in the bag. Well done to everyone for speaking up to keep the group together and adjusting the pace when required.
by Rob Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:18 pm
Just 7 in The Square on Sunday, but with early returns needed (which of course is fine), we were down to 4 by Grantley.
A bit breezy on the high ground and a technical decent into upper Nidderdale through the rain gullies. Quick sociable refuel in How Stean, then back over Jordans as the rain started. We got steadily wetter all the way home and was pleased to be indoors by 4pm, with 158km ticked off.

Thanks to Andy, Andrew and Steen, once again for company.

A few good ideas for the next few weeks discussed - Hornsea Mere, Fryup, Filey. Watch this space.