Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:39 pm
Temperatures overnight Saturday into Sunday caused us to activate the "Icey Sunday Protocol", which can be generally summarised as "stick to the bus routes". To this end we followed the A166 to Balloon Tree, then north through Buttercrambe and on over Gally Gap. With the mercury still stuck resolutely at minus 3°Garmin at Malton, we stuck to the B road all the way through Hovingham and Stonegrave to Helmesley. Rather more single file riding than usual, but pleasant enough. The countryside looked fantastic.

Steaming bowl of soup in the cafe, then back home along the B road through Brandsby and to York. The frost was finally clear by Pottery Lane. Just 106km, and home well before 2pm. Beats a turbo session any day. Thanks to Andy, Andrew and Muzzy for company.

Pateley next week.
by ClaireG Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm
Only Rich and I in the Square for last Sat 10am Club Ride. The snow was still about on the side rides, but once I’d walked out of my road to the bus route, then all was clear. Of course to keep a watchout, so we decided to take the well-known gritted route out Stockton Lane and then to Holtby, Balloon Tree and see how the conditions were…….
Pleasantly surprised, clear on the gritted roads, traffic light and cycling temperatures warmer than our garage.

It wasn’t ‘Malton or bust’, we always reserved the right to turn back, but never required and a good training ride made. Gally Gap to Malton and on we cantered, past the gallops to Coneysthorpe and Castle Howard. We decided a non stop 3ish hr training ride made a change and headed back in via T-Le-C and Flaxton. No issues, a good 77km, fresh air and good scenery.

Thanks a lot to Rich for the company and pleasant chat and also for riding my pace.
Cheers
Claire