Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Melly Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:09 pm
I haven't been here for a long time now, but just a quick post to say Thank you to people like Phil Bixby who, had the confidence to allow me to drive as a rookie in my first road races many years ago.

I have now driven on the Tour de Yorkshire, Otley Road Races and the Womens Tour of Britain 2018, I was down to drive the Mens Tour this year but had to pull out following Spinal Surgery mid year. Today I received an invite to drive Comms on the World Champs next September from British Cycling and have Otley Town Centre, The Womens and Mens Tours of Britain already booked for next year.

Very disappointing to see the collapse of events across North Yorkshire, but im sure it could be rekindled, just thought I would let people know how far you can get just by getting involved at grass roots level :-)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Melly
by craigdabrown Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:01 pm
Well done in getting these high profile gigs Simon.

We really appreciated the time you gave to volunteering with Clifton back then and perhaps your story can be further expanded and used to encourage Members to volunteer next season.

An article on the new website, maybe.
by like my bike Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:08 pm
Well done Simon, great to be asked. The Yorkshire Worlds are a once in a lifetime enjoy :D

Andy

A J
by PhilBixby Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:03 am
Belatedly spotted this - I'm not here much either these days!

Really pleased to hear about your high-profile role in the sport - it really illustrates that cycling's big enough to offer all sorts of ways of getting in on the action alongside putting a number on your back. You were always a very safe pair of hands behind the wheel - I recall some very calm handling of road rage stupidity at one of our vets races - but all of the club members who drove, marshalled or signed riders on at those events did a brilliant job and made them races which were appreciated by riders all over the north.

It's sad to hear of events vanishing from the calendar due to the frustrations of organising. My new neighbours are runners; the attitude within their sport seems completely different - even serious competitors seem to spend a fair bit of time putting back into making events happen.

Enjoy the Worlds, Melly - I'll look out for you from the roadside knowing you're part of it and I'm just a spectator!
by Melly Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:33 pm
Thank you for your kind words Phil, you are entirely right, it takes a lot of committed people to put on top events, to now get paid well for something you enjoy along side top hotels, food, uniform etc is amazing, here are a couple of photos from last years Women's Tour, what a step up and learning curve with a top UCI Commissionaire. It was a long week, nearly 2500 miles in a car that had 22 miles on the clock when I picked it up, but what an experience for a Cat4 old *u*ker of 51 with 1 BC racing point lol :-) And btw way Phil I dont have to worry about road rage now I just have to cope with 37 NEG riders, 55 Police riders, closed roads but, Lunatic Team cars, Team Directors, Doctors, Ambulances, Press, Photographers, TV cameras bikes, Neutral Service and entertain private guests, sponsors etc and the car has to be spotless 24/7, also need to monitor 4 separate communication radio systems and the responsibility of looking after my UCI Comm. It is not something you could do without coming up from the grass roots, and I thank you for introducing me too it....I sleep well every night even when my room mate is snoring :-) And I forgot possibly 200 riders lol they really are hard work ;-)
Attachments
35475629_10211727912018860_5188601835400724480_n.jpg
35475629_10211727912018860_5188601835400724480_n.jpg (77.03 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
TB2018.jpg
TB2018.jpg (66.58 KiB) Viewed 2443 times