Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by DavidShort Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 pm
Dear All,

Following on from the information from Nigel regarding road works in the Sheriff Hutton area I had a scout round today. Basically the road from the Sheriff Hutton roundabout towards Terrington bank is completely closed and will be for 4 weeks due to Yorkshire water carrying out culvert repairs.

As a consequence our circuits using this section of road cannot be used. This means our scheduled event on the 2nd August on the Whenby Brandsby circuit, which was to be the final event in the series, cannot go ahead.

I've looked at the options Nigel suggested, namely using the High Stittenham circuit but this has been thwarted by road works with traffic lights between the village Hall and Lilling turn off. I have previously discounted the other circuit which would go through the main street of Stillington . The risks involved are too great given the parked cars, people crossing the street etc. It's just not safe.

The only other 2 circuits left are the Sutton 10 and the Wheldrake 10.

My concern is that I have pushed North Yorkshire Police as far as I dare regarding last minute course changes, They have generously waived the statutory notification periods and I don't want to go too far in case it compromises future arrangements.

It is with some reluctance therefore that I feel we should accept this Thursdays Sutton 10 as the final event in the series. We will have had 10 events which is what we normally have. I built in 12 events, in part, to cover exactly the scenario we have faced namely events being cancelled due to road works. We are also now into the school holiday period which usually affects the numbers of competitors taking part.

I hope this meets with agreement and understanding. It has been a challenging year keeping the show on the road but collectively we have done it. Well done and thank you to everyone.

Lets finish on a good one this Thursday evening on the Sutton 10! See you there :D

Kind regards David
TT Sec'
by MichaelJeffrey Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:47 am
David,

The Sheriff to Terrington Road is open as normal between Sheriff and the Whenby turn off to Brandsby. The road is then closed further on at the bottom of Terrington bank (there are also some traffic lights but again these are after the Whenby turn off). There are signs up in Sheriff at the little roundabout diverting traffic via Bulmer. Ironically I think with these diversions in place it is safer than normal as the starting point is after the roundabout and traffic is almost non existent down the hill. Notwithstanding these comments, it may be that the police would not countenance the event but I thought I should say.

Best wishes

Michael
by nige gos Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:55 pm
having just riden the course today , michael is spot on with the road been open until past the whenby
junction.

would be a shame to cancel this excellent event esp aft all the hard work done by dave this yr.

nige
by DavidShort Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:11 am
I've got the ok from NYCC to use the section of road from Sheriff Hutton roundabout to Whenby Lane. Therefore the Whenby Brandsby Stillinton circuit is good to for for the last event of the series next Thursday the 2nd August. Hoorah!

However we still need an organiser and all the other officials to ensure it can go ahead. Any volunteers?

Kind regards David
TT Sec'
by DavidShort Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:55 pm
I checked the Whenby circuit today Graham, (getting caught in the thunder storm in the process!). Roads all clear of traffic lights and other road works.

Cheers David
TT Secretary
by DavidShort Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:13 pm
Thanks Graham, I'll put you down as time keeping. I believe Bernard is unavailable for this one. Thank you Ian for volunteering to marshal. We still need an organiser, 2 marshals, pusher off and time keeper assistant.

Cheers David
TT Sec'