Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by ClaireG Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:54 pm
A big thanks to the Sunday riders for a smashing Club Run out to Langdale End on Sunday. 6 riders in the group: Arvid; PaulM; Pete; Steen; Robert & self. I was very grateful to the group all day for adjusting their pace to keep me in the wheels.
Enjoyed the route out via Burythorpe and the high, smooth, supposedly closed road over to West Heslerton. We’d glugged 2 bottles by Snainton, so re filled the bottles before the long climb over Troutsdale to Langdale End. The scenery over there was fab and until we entered the Dalby Forest, the roads were really quiet. I was starting to flag, but we re-grouped over the long climb and I was given wheels to follow again & drop down to Thornton Le Dale. Not often that I do 65miles before a café (!) so I am using that as an excuse as to why I then promptly sat down & ate Pete’s lunch instead of waiting for mine – he was much more polite though than the Saturday crew would have been at my antics! Pete told me he’d recently ridden the coast to coast, Seascale to Whitby, so I then asked him how many days he had taken to do the ride – I should know better really with these Sunday riders shouldn’t I? (answer = 1)
Back to the roads home, across to Kirby Misperton & Amotherby, I once again was able to sit on the wheels – we certainly made good progress. I thought I was stuffed by Amotherby and surely they would leave me and let me crawl back home now (?) but they sat on my wheel instead up the climb – they are very patient . I kept trying to raise a “gallop” (trot) over the last few bumps…..& this paid off as I was back on Pete’s & Steen’s wheels for the run-in to York, which made very quick work (for me) of the last 15miles.
Finished with 98miles and once I stopped aching (the next day), I happily reflected that this was my hardest ride (in a good way) for some years.
Thanks to all for the great company, good chit chat, fab lanes & particularly watching out for my, at times, rather stretched elastic.