Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by craigdabrown Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Hello everyone,

After 4 and a half years of being Club Secretary, the time feels right to pass the role onto someone else. I had intended to do this earlier in the year, at the A.G.M. in February, but a lack of attendance from ordinary Club members meant that it didn't feel pertinent to do so.

I am also currently responsible for compiling and distributing the weekly e-mail. Again, this is a duty which I would like to pass onto someone who has fresh ideas regarding the ride and general information our Members require. In this age of social media, where everyone is communicating through Facebook groups and on various WhatsApp channels, it may be that there simply isn't a requirement for a weekly e-mail.

We've also been in the process of updating the Club Website for a while now and hopefully these roles will tie in neatly with that resource becoming available.

I am not looking to relinquish my duties immediately but if you are interested then please send me a PM on here or e-mail secretary@cliftoncc.org

Thanks,
Craig
by like my bike Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:56 am
Hi Craig

Sorry to hear you are intending to stand down, you have done a great job holding things together. Anyone reading this or Craigs post, please ask yourself if you have benefitted from the Club ? If so can you help ?

What are members views on communication on weekly rides and other club news?

Forum
Website
Facebook message
Facebook
Whatsapp

How would you prefer to receive information?

Thanks again Craig :D

A J
by Dr Dave Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:51 pm
Personally think that current structure works reasonably well.
Discussion board and emails serve as 'whole club' communication channels.
Other media e.g. Whatsapp and Messenger allow smaller groups to have less formal discussions that aren't often of interest or relevance to the wider club membership.

Keep pedalling!
by ChrisR Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 am
Hi

Personally I think the weekly emails wok well when there has already been a decision made about ride destination , However when a destination hasn't been chosen the discussion boards IMO do not work so well and the discuss in the square is not great. I know I am probably a minority as I have a 30 mile round trip to get to the square, but the difference of a Wolds ride or north or West is huge and more often than not results in me not riding, I like a degree of certainty before I leave the front door.

I would suggest a whatsapp group for each ride, K, A etc and then the interested parties can have the discussion with only interested parties and hopefully have the decide in the square discussion much sooner. For anyone who hasn't used it, its effectively a group discussion via text message. This also removes the no doubt sometimes difficult task of rounding up the various group leaders opinions on a weekly basis that someone would have to do to produce the email.

The weekly emails are good at the news elements of the club
by Dr Dave Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:18 pm
The problem with Whatsapp groups is that they are only of use to riders already in the group. Other club members don't get to know what's planned.
These are whole club rides and should be accessible to the whole membership (and the occasional guest rider) not just a small clique. The club struggles enough to function as one integrated body without further fragmentation.
Do agree though that groups could be better at giving notice of planned routes earlier in the week. I'm sure Craig or his successor would appreciate this :D

Keep pedalling!