Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by DavidShort Sat May 19, 2018 5:48 pm
Dear All,

Since last years dinner, which I think we can mark as a huge success, enhanced by the guest speaker, Sir Gary Verity, I have been beavering away, sourcing a speaker for this years event. I believe I have come up with a gem in the form of Geoff Cooke, former Commonwealth Games Gold medallist, who has a palmares second to none. This is a straight lift from Wikipedia;

Cooke was born in Crumpsall, Manchester. He competed in the Sprint and Tandem Sprint events in Munich.[1][2] Cooke represented England at the 1974 Commonwealth Games in Christchurch, where he won the Gold medal in the tandem sprint event.[3] Along with winning the Commonwealth Championship he is a 31 times World Masters Champion, including winning the sprint championship for seven consecutive years between 1996 and 2002,[4] and 64 times national champion.[5]
Cooke broke the European record in the 500m TT for riders aged 60–64, whilst on the way to winning the gold medal at the 2008 European Masters Track Cycling Championships, with a new time of 37.244 seconds.[6] Cooke retained his title in 2009, albeit in the 65–69 age category, he also won the sprint and later on the same year took gold in the sprint and 500m TT and silver in the scratch race at the World Masters Track Championships in Sydney.[7]
He held the post of British Cycling's national cycling coach for 10 years, 1979-1989.
In 2006-2009, Cooke took part in the reality TV show The Games as a cycling coach to the participating celebrities.[8]
Cooke was also involved in coaching cycling for DARE UK.[9]

Geoff's response to our invitation as our guest speaker is as follows;

Hi David
I was delighted to receive your email and I am truly honoured to be G of H at such a famous club as the Clifton Cycling Club.
Cycling has been so very good to me, it is lovely to give a little back. You can rest assured I will give my best.
Your email seems to cover everything, thank you and have a wonderful summer.
Kind regards
. Geoff

Geoff has agreed to speak at no cost other than reasonable travel costs and accommodation, the same arrangements we had with sir Gary Verity. My sources suggest he is an excellent and entertaining speaker.

I trust this meets with members approval. One not to be missed!

Kind regards David