Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:11 pm
Moor Gravel Audax, another Saturday outing for the Sunday crew. 8am start in Newby Wiske. AndrewL, JonnyB and me. AndyG was also down to ride but his freehub malfunctioned on the start line.... Jonny managed to sheer his rear mech off just past 90k, necessitating an abandon. So just left Andrew and I to fly the Clifton flag to the finish.

Interesting route. I guess only about a quarter of the distance is off-tarmac, but the surfaces were very variable, a proper Rough Stuff ride off old. Some claggy mud, loose climbs, green lanes, cinder and a couple of climbs that required a fair amount of hike-a-bike. Saw Bransdale, Rosedale, Fryupdale, Farndale and Ryedale from some different angles to usual. 166km, 2800m climbing. Tough day out.

So, we tackled Dirty Reiver last week, a real sportive, Moor Gravel Audax this week, classic low key Audax. The DR was the bigger experience/adventure and I'd definitely recommend it, though I doubt I'd ride again (got the t-shirt, literally). The Audax was more main stream and familiar, not quite the same levels of wilderness, but very pretty nonetheless, and I'll ride again if it fits in next year.

Back to the tarmac next week. Watch this space.