Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Jon G Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:33 pm
Conditions were a bit iffy when I set off for the square on Saturday but persisted and I’m glad I did and ignored the forecast for a change :D . Only nine in total in square for all rides. 7 were regular inters with Craig and nick joining us . Along with myself there were Dr Dave, Graham, John B, Stu, Ian and John S . We rode together out to Hutton Le hole where the group split with graham, John, nick and I riding a bit steadier stopping to take a few photos and taking in the winter scenery. Apart from a couple of annoyed drivers roads were relatively quiet and apart from the icy stretch over the Ford above welburn there were no incidents :D . Route back through sproxton, ampleforth, easingwold, tollerton etc made the ride challenging enough without being to epic for January, and the sun was out now :D . Good route devised by Dave and nearly managed to get back to York when I p***tured near alne. I wasn’t annoyed about having a flat as its part and parcel of cycling especially in winter conditions but the fact that I’d only fitted the tyres the day before :roll: . A small thorn was the culprit :evil: . No further problems and arrived back in York with around 75 miles on the clock. Rode home with a clear sky and setting sun and waxing crescent moon clearly visible in the night sky. And apart from being sprayed with grit by a passing lorry on the way home which was annoying no other issues thankfully . A proper winter ride, thanks for the company chaps and I’m glad I made the effort :D
by Rob Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:52 pm
Mussy always says that its not a real winter ride unless you bottle freezes. Nevertheless it was a raw day on Sunday. We stuck to the tried and tested frosty morning route, on the gritted roads, A166 to Balloon Tree, then left up Gally Gap to Malton, Through Malton and onto the B road through Slingsby, Stonegrave and on up to Helmesley. Thawed out with chorizo and pepper soup (wow!) then back out as the snow started to fall. Followed the B road back through Brandsby, enjoying the falling snow. Just starting to get uncomfortable by the outskirts of York, so I think we maximised the day. Thanks to Andy and Joseph for company.