Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Arthur Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:33 am
So how was the weekend?

There were 10 of us on the Saturday training ride and a nice 3 1/2 hour ride was had (it was three hours riding but we had a couple of short stops of punctures and stuff). I even managed to take Dave Byworth up a road he'd never been on :)

by Tullio Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:32 pm
The Inaugural Clifton Moor to Sea weekend saw 7 of us load rucksacks and head off for a weekend of MTBing. The weather was just perfect with no wind, mild conditions and blue skies only punctuated by an atmospheric mist on Sunday morning.

My note to riders saying I wasn't planning a tough 'epic' came back to haunt me slightly as we encountered 2 missing bridges, numerous 'vague' paths and a couple of challenging stream crossings all before lunch on Saturday...which we got to at 4pm! We finally descended into Scarborough under torchlight around 7.15 Sat eve, just in time for a shower, meal and a beer watching the rugby.

Sunday was less eventful, but no less picturesque, through Wykeham and Dalby Forests, finishing with a road 'sprint' to the cars. 80 miles and 2800m climbing in 2 days off road meant there were a few tired legs at the end, but most were still smiling.

by Dave B Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:26 pm
Rode a West Midlands League 'cross event near Dudley on Sunday, coming in 30th and last, though half-a-dozen riders pulled out before the end, so I was just pleased to finish the event! Plus, I managed not to crash unlike my previous outing in mid-September.
Excellent weather so no bother with damp dead leaves and excess mud clogging up the bike (though you do need some mud around to keep it interesting!). Most unusual feature of the course - having to cross 3 sets of railway lines (miniature, not full-size, and thankfully no trains running either), which is probably a bit of a one-off in UK off-road racing!

Dave