Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by craigdabrown Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 am
Well, Storm Brian didn’t turn out to be quite as bad as predicted on Saturday and five of us – Claire, Julia, Alistair, Jonny and myself - took a chance on a K-Ride paced trip into the Wolds. It was Jonny’s first ride with the Club but he didn’t seem daunted by the conditions or our plan. In fact, he was actually going to join Stuart on the A-Ride to Thornton-le-Dale.

We enjoyed a flattering tailwind on the first section and were soon approaching North Grimston via Stockton, Bossall and Kirkham. Alistair decided to head for Malton at that point and the four of us took a right-turn before the main road for a nice, slightly off-road, climb up Luddith Road which brought us out onto the climb from Birdsall. Julia had to be back early and headed straight for the top when we took a left for Thixendale.

The next part was the only time we were properly exposed to the wind all day, having to pedal all the way down the descent and battle the wind a bit on the climb back out and up to Huggate. The three of us were in need of some food after that and headed down through Millington Pastures and the welcoming fire of the Rambler’s Rest cafe.

Standard route back via Meltonby, Yapham and Fangfoss, we came across DaveC and IanH just after Stamford Bridge. Dave had hit a patch of diesel at Northgate Lane and gone for a slide but seemed none the worse for the experience and led us on the last bit back to York.

Thanks to everyone for good company on a fine route devised by Claire, we pretty-much avoided the wind for the whole day and managed 66 miles and over 3,000 feet of climbing when we thought we might not get out at all. Great to have Jonny along on his first Clifton Ride and I hope that work schedules and his studies permit him to make it out again soon.
Last edited by craigdabrown on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Rob Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:04 pm
The Sunday gang of three avoided the headwinds all the way out to Hornsea Mere. A really enjoyable route, quiet lanes, very gently rolling, has the makings of a classic. Great café at the Mere with quick service and a cyclists' menu.

We didn't avoid the headwind for any of the way back, and rode "through and off" for 87k. Steen described himself as "slaughtered" and even Andy looked a little fragile. I sat in the kitchen with my head in hands for quite a while.

It's rides like this that make you strong though....
by Dr Dave Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:37 pm
The Inters group went to Thornton-le- Dale as advertised. Stu, Rich, James, Dave C, Ian H, Graham, Kev, John B, Ian R, Jon G and self.
Graham punctured twice before Bulmer which delayed us a bit but we proceeded with the tailwind out as far as Great Barff ( :wink: ) where Dave and Ian turned off as they had to be back early (see Craig above). The remainder crossed the A170 and headed on up to Lastingham. Unfortunately somehow Graham took a wrong turn here and as the remainder looped round through Cropton and via Pickering to Thornton, Graham ended up in Hutton-le-Hole.
A telephone call established that a reunion wasn't practical so the bunch came home via West Heslerton and Duggleby, forming a sedate but persistant through and off into the stiff headwind. The drizzle started at Duggleby so we eschewed the high route and came straight home via North Grimston and Kirkstone Abbey.
95 miles for me, thanks to all for the company and glad that Graham got back without drama :D

Keep pedalling!
by bernard turgoose Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:38 pm
3 Abbeys Audax for me on Sunday, when I got up it was raining cats & dogs but as the forecast was that it would ease off during the early part of the morning, I continued with getting ready to go. By delaying the start to get to Wiggington it had actually stopped by the time I left, 7 miles later it was still raining in Wiggington, But as it was much lighter rain I caped up and left with the rest of the hardy soles (35), but no other Cliftonites.
Out through Strensall, Flaxton, Thornton le Clay and then over the A64 to Barton le Willows and it had finally stopped raining, so I was quite enjoying the tail winds riding along with Keith Benton at a steady, the first hill out of Kirkham Abbey and then on to Menethorpe and Malton. Not raining still so off came the capes !! which remained off for the rest of the day, this didn't apply to the wind though. The worst was after Slingsby going west to Nunnington and Oswaldkirk, pretty tough and even Keith rode on my wheel until the descent down the bank. Café stop at Abbey number two ( guess which), and then past the third at Byland before riding past the worlds best restaurant in Oldstead - starter lunch menu £90 you will need a platinum card if you want to try it. Then Kilburn and the turn into the south with mainly wind assistance back to Wiggington via Coxwold, Husthwaite, Easingwold and Sutton. 82 miles done door to door and 3500 feet of climbing, not to mention the battle against the westerly wind for the mid third of the route.