Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by ClaireG Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:30 pm
………and the going today will be wet and slippery.

Yes, Sunday morning brought a damp start, atmospheric clouds looming above Bishop Wilton village, waiting ominously to gather up the ascending riders.

Big Thanks to the excellent team for their help in getting the event to happen: Dave Short for police notification, getting the signs and paperwork to me; Bernard for chasing round the watches to me before the event; Robert, Steen and Craig for timekeeping, number-shouting and marshalling at the top of the climb; Jill for important marshall duties on the side road / village carpark junction; Paul for pushing off and Siobhan signing on.

A select group of only 10 riders for the event, but you know on a day like today, it’s only those who are serious in wanting to ride the Hill Climb who brave the weather.

Congratulations to Pete Hook for posting the fastest time of the day. There are many things I love about sport, teams and comradery, but today’s event illustrates that in a few significant ways:

There were 2 x 12 year old riders amongst the 10 riders attacking the event today

Curtis, aged 12, learnt a tough lesson which has happened to all us cyclists in one form or another, where his wheel slipped on the wet, leafy road surface whilst pushing hard up the climb and unfortunately took a tumble off his bike. Pete, who was racing up the climb after Curtis stopped to check the youngster was ok, who was understandably shaken.

So Pete’s race was seemingly over, but he’d had no qualms to stop & help the younger rider in preference to trying to win the event. Fortunately Curtis was able to ride down the hill (cheers Shaun for accompanying him) and apart from having a sore knee and dented pride, we all hope he will be back again next year to lay those Bishop Wilton demons to rest!

As a club event, then the organisers’ decision is final ( :D ) and with the watch still running, Pete was then able to set off again at minute 30, to have another go! His result below speaks for itself!

Great times posted by Marcus and Shaun in 2nd and 3rd place respectively. Marcus taking the accolade of the 1st Clifton Club rider.

A very impressive time of 7m25s was posted by Fastest female, Laura Tissiman – well done, followed by a competitive 8 minute ride from the 1st Clifton Club Female rider, Lucy Lewis.

The 2 younger Joes in the event rode strongly to complete the field, all riders finishing in under 9 minutes – very quick!

I was proud to be part of the cycling community today, there was a great atmosphere amongst riders, helpers and spectators.
Enjoy your winter riding and see you next year!

Position Name Club Age Time
1 Peter Hook VC York 22 6m24s 1st Overall
2 Marcus Cockerill Clifton CC 14 7m02s 1st Clifton Club Rider/1st Junior
3 Shaun Lawson Clifton CC 27 7m07s
4 Ally Lewis Clifton CC 46 7m14s 1st Vet (40)
5 Laura Tissiman Cycleworks 37 7m25s 1st Female
6 Matt Hardy Clifton CC 43 7m39s
7 Lucy Lewis Clifton CC 48 8m00s
8 Joe Waterfield Clifton CC 12 8m30s
9 Joe Shillabeer Clifton CC 15 8m51s
10 Curtis Cornwell Clifton CC 12 DNF Fall
by ClaireG Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:08 am
A local photographer, Chris Kendall, was out taking some snaps on the climb, see his email with links to copy and comments below:

There is a small selection on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?
set=a.1564591720268556.1073741854.848260758568326&type=1&l=c8c59430e5

And a full set on Flickr, which are downloadable in high quality:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm68TsBC

I'd welcome and encourage people to use them. Credit appreciate, where possible - but only where practical, I'd much rather seen them used than anything else.
Cheers
Chris