Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:38 pm
Thought I should pen something as was fortunate enough to get three rides in over the weekend.

Firstly, just myself and Steen completed a 3.5hour off road ride (cross bike) starting from Easingwold on Friday evening. Steen knows every track, lane and bridlepath around there and we covered some serious territory with very little tarmac. My favourite stretch was the track through woods from the Kilburn-Bagby lane up to the hooves of the White Horse.

Saturday saw me join Kevin's gang for 130k out to a new café for me, above Fewston. Great route crafted to keep on the quietest lanes at a good pace. Gorgeous weather and good company, thanks for having me along.

Sunday. Scotton 150. Some keen riders this year and dry conditions made the riding a bit quick for my 54" single speed. Another glorious day had us all eeking out the water supplies. I wouldn't want to ride this route every week, but I do enjoy seeing the villages around there from a different angle. Nick defined irony when he managed to pick up a nail on a rock strewn descent. It pierced the tyre, tube, rim tape and rim to finish protruding between the spokes... It was a tough ride, made possible by everyone's perpetual high spirits and camaraderie. Once again, thanks for the company and chapeau to Nick, Damian, Mussy, Jonny, DaveC, IanH, Steen , AndyG, Ben and JohnS.

Overall, fab weekend, exemplifies why it's so great to be in a club like ours.
by paulM Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:14 pm
A varied weekend for me also - an hour down at the Go Ride session with Pete on Saturday + the ride there and back followed by a sneaky hour on my own to Sherif Hutton and back.
It would have been rude not to take up the Scotton challenge on Sunday. you know its going to be an adventure when you turn right out of the square - the riverside path all the way to Overton was an extra section I hadnt counted on! In fact we did all the off road sections from the real thing plus an extra 50 km of road riding on cross tyres. it was a tough ride on a warm day. Chapeau to Dave C - kept his powder dry and was super strong for the last 10 miles despite a tumble earlier in the day.