Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by ClaireG Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 pm
Sheriff Hutton-Bulmer-Ganthorpe SPOCO Thurs 6th July

Thanks to Bernard, Dave C & Dawn for volunteering to help at this event.
We have enough helpers, so ALL can ride who want to.

Sign on 18:45-19:15
1st Rider Off 19:31

Plan to meetup in the SHutton village Pub afterwards if you fancy joining us.
Cheers
Claire
Last edited by ClaireG on Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
by DavidShort Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:40 am
Many thanks for organising this one Claire and thank you to Bernard and other volunteers. The weather forecast looks good though we may cop for a thunder storm which will be very heavy if the forecast is to be believed. I did a pre event Risk assessment yesterday whilst it was raining quite heavily.

Bulmer Bank - watch out for big puddles and loose gravel on the racing line.

Descent from Ganthorpe to junction on right leading to Castle Howard - Road resurfaced but the bike seemed to drift over to the right, may be the camber. not good if you have to brake if someone pulls out of the junction.

Left hand bend into Terrington - dreadful road surface on nearside, throws you to crown of road, watch out for oncoming traffic.

Terrifying Bank - Loose gravel across junction before descent, road surface on descent not good, bike getting thrown about. The red flag is there with good reason! :o

See you all Thursday night.

Kind regards David
by DavidShort Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:16 pm
Mad downpours at the moment. If it clears up fine, but, if it's coming down in stair rods as it is now we should cancel the event on safety grounds. Hopefully it will clear up by start time but just putting everyone on notice. Safety first!

Kind regards David
by DavidShort Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:20 pm
Following torrential rain there was a break in the weather about 6pm so I set off to the TT. No sooner had I set off when the heavens opened and it rained in Biblical proportions. I took in part of the circuit, down Terryfying Bank which was awash with gravel and streams of running water across the road. The section between Terryfying Bank and Sheriff Hutton was completely awash.Not just wet, but under a good depth of water. I conferred with Claire Rob Dawn and Shioban and we thought we would give it a few minutes to abate. However, it didn't, if anything getting worse. We decided that even if it stopped raining there was so much run off water from the fields that surface water and washed out gravel would render the course unsafe. We decided therefore to cancel the event on grounds of rider safety. Apologies to anyone who turned up in the hope of a ride but as I said earlier safety is paramount.

On the way back I called in at Brandsby village Hall, the race HQ of York Cycle works road race. That too had to be cancelled due to flooded roads and unsafe surfaces. Some competitors had travelled from as far afield as Sheffield and Ambleside in Cumbria.

Big thanks to Rob, Claire & Siobahn for setting up the course and rider sign on etc. in atrocious conditions and special thanks to Dawn who cycled out to the event. Cliftonite dedication at it's best.

Fingers crossed for kinder weather for next weeks joint venture with Cycleworks at Wheldrake.

Kind regards David
by wilsontown Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:46 pm
Thanks everyone for trying to get this on. It was OK when I left York, and OK when I got to Strensall. By the time I got to Sheriff Hutton I was absolutely drenched, there was standing water everywhere and occasional streams of water across the road. It was clear that there was no way the event could be held safely, so the correct decision without doubt. By the time I got back to York I was riding on dry roads...

Is there any chance of rescheduling this for the end of the season?
by ClaireG Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:54 am
Rather dispiriting evening for all concerned. Exciting! But a rare cancellation of a Club Event. Like Paul, we left York on dry roads and just as we got to SheriffH to collect the signage we had our 1st drenching. This continued whilst setting up and putting out the signs, then just when you thought you couldn't be wetter or it couldn't rain harder - it did!

My thanks to Dave C, Dawn, Bernard, Dave I, Robert & Siobhan for all turning up to help and to those riders who rode out hoping to race. Apolgies for your wasted efforts / time.

Not often this happens, keep up the training and on to the next round..............
by DavidShort Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:28 am
In view of the cancellation of last night's Ganthorpe TT due to adverse weather I'm making enquiries with North Yorkshire Police ops planning to see if we can reschedule to Thursday 27th July. I've already cleared it with the CTT. I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards David