Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:56 am
How did it all go then?

Dalby Trailquest
Dalby MTB marathon thingy
Weaver Valley RR
Sunday's audax

Enjoyed the touring weekend. Two groups of 4 on Saturday. The first going over Hawnby via Helmesley. The other via Rosedale to Egton Bridge then across the grain to Osmotherly via Glaisdale and Castleton. More climbing than you could shake a stick at. Caught the second half of the Rugby on the hostel TV in the evening - inspiring stuff. All came back together on Sunday via Richmond and Masham. Can't remember riding in short sleeves in mid Oct before...

by Tullio Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:26 am
The last NYMBO Trailquest of the season was at Dalby on Saturday. Despite early mist and drizzle it was very mild, if a little boggy in places. Andy S and myself were there aswell as a cameo appearance from Andy J. Andy S needed a really good ride to clinch the Vets 'trophy' for the season which he did with an impressive ride scoring 325 points. Results here http://www.eborienteers.org.uk/results/ ... esults.htm I would have posted some photos of the prizegiving but Andy missed it as he was out doing a lap of honour. :roll:

Sunday was the first Moors MTB Marathon, also organised by NYMBO, starting at Dalby again. Gill, Seb and I turned up early to do the short (25k) route. The 2 Andys and Jeff turned up to do the longer routes, along with over 60 other riders. The thick fog early on made navigation 'interesting' but we had a great ride through the forest and out around the moors near Levisham and back. I'd like to know how the others faired, especially Jeff on his semi slicks as we were struggling in some of the thick muddy climbs on knobblies. I imagine the climb up from Farwath Crossing was hard with tired legs too.

by barberj Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:17 am
I did the 32mile medium course which took just over 5 hours. I did have a lot of problems running on touring tyres rather than mountain bike tyres especially over the moor past RAF Fylingdales where the track is very muddy and rutted. I just couldn't get the bike to point in the right direction and ended up using it as hobby horse as I was slipping sideways so much. I was a great way to meet new people as I moved between 4 different groups during the whole event. The final three hills really did test my legs coming over from Levisham railway crossing back to High Rigg Farm. Hope to do it again next year with a better idea of what I am getting myself in to.

by Rob Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:17 pm
PaulC wrote:The last NYMBO Trailquest of the season was at Dalby on Saturday. Despite early mist and drizzle it was very mild, if a little boggy in places. Andy S and myself were there aswell as a cameo appearance from Andy J. Andy S needed a really good ride to clinch the Vets 'trophy' for the season which he did with an impressive ride scoring 325 points. Results here http://www.eborienteers.org.uk/results/ ... esults.htm I would have posted some photos of the prizegiving but Andy missed it as he was out doing a lap of honour. :roll:

Paul is too modest to point out that his 9th place overall also put him 10th in the league for the season - a season that was somewhat compromised by a broken arm! Well done to all the MBO gang!!!

by Andy J Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:51 pm
weaver valley didnt happen for me, my lack of ability to get up on a morning stopping me. Managed to make it to the Audax instead, had an enjoyable day out with good company.

by mal Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:31 am
I was another victim of over-sleeping and didn't have enough time to get to the audax start at Wiggington for 10am. Instead I detoured a few miles from home to make up the distance and joined the course at Upper Helmsley, expecting to meet up at some point. I must have been in front of you as I ended up having a solitary ride all the way round and back to Wiggie.

by like my bike Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:24 pm
Sunday's marathan was tough we started in fog/mist which did nt clear until 11.00, caught up with Andy S on the moors so we rode the remainder together. Some pretty tough climbs, single track and fire roads highlights catching Andy S, riding throu and off on mountain bikes! The final accent to High Rigg Finishing 70 km in 5hours 10 mins

A J