Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by ClaireG Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:19 pm
Saturday morning, a solo 0630 car drive over the M62 from a visit to my Mum’s, with Dire Straits strumming loudly, put me in the mood for a challenging day……

At the square, Bernard was taking a group off for the advertised 'K ride' 75 miler to Walkington / Beverley. There was some hesitation on the A riders side, with only DaveC & IanH present of their regular numbers. I proposed a Castleton ride, 90+miles and a ‘big’ day out. All of a sudden, there were 10 takers!

Could not have had a better day for it - as you all know by now: sun, blue skies and a fortunate breeze which minimised the overheating.

Out via Castle Howard, Amotherby, Lastingham. Alistair, who had joined us for the 1st time from Calder Clarion decided that Rosedale Café looked a revised destination for him. Then the Tour de Yorkshire ascent of Rosedale, heading for the RH turn for Fryupdale. At the regroup, DaveC, PeteS, Tony & Mark decided to head on to Blakey Ridge road and LH turn for H-le-Hole and home. Time was getting on and they had various commitments.

That left 5 of us: Craig, IanH, Ginnie; Phil and self. Beautiful descent of Fryupdale through Danby and the welcome Post Office Tea Rooms with the sunny terrace & views to die for! Refuelled and rehydrated, we headed across the sun-soaked hills to Westerdale, for the quieter ascent to Ralph Crosses. I enjoyed tapping up this climb, although a little off the pace. The Moors were resplendent, Roseberry Topping clear, the curlews letting me know I was disturbing their nesting and I was bizarrely content at being overtaken by butterflies!

The following long descent to H-le-H is always more exhilarating and fast-paced and that set the tone for our return leg, to ensure we got home at a reasonable time. There was less chatting and plenty digging in, with some great front riding by all to get us over the Howardians again and return via Terrington and Sheriff Hutton. Ian kindly had a pinch flat with 11 miles to go, which gave us time to empty our pockets of leftover bars / flapjacks!
Lots of liquid today: 4 full bottles; 3 cups of tea 1 can diet coke (Robert guffawed at the ‘diet’ here) – the Garmin told me a 5500 calorie day!

Thanks to the team riding, thoroughly enjoyed our day out. Interestingly, the 30-somethings were hurrying home to be out for a party, whilst I collapsed on the grass at home, trying to recover! :wink:
by craigdabrown Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 am
Thanks Claire, a proper day out and a great write-up.
Although you do fail to mention that the 60 and 70-somethings were planning to be out gigging and boozing too. :shock:
by Rob Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 am
Sunday. 7 congregated in the Square, aware that this maybe the best Sunday conditions of the year. TBH some years we don't get any Sundays like this one.

Jai, Stuart, AndrewNG, AndyG, James, Steen and me. Kirkham, Settringham. Then lots of new lanes (I'd spent a very pleasant 10mins with the map on the kitchen wall, devising a route that switched back and forth across the northern woldian escarpment). Winteringham, Sherburn, Foxholes, Fordon. Most lanes had grass growing out the middle and there were more cyclists than cars for most of the morning.

The Bronte Vinery café was pleased to see us, laying on complimentary tea, and we made a big dent in their fizzy drink stock. Back the traditional route through Kilham, the Sledmere ice cream van, Life Hill and Millington.

By the time Steen punctured near Stammy Bridge, we'd all have made pretty good kindling. I waved the others on, while we watched Steen's tubeless tire magically heal itself.

Route a little longer than advertised with the extra wiggling about in the morning. But I reckon I can be forgiven... 178k Square to Square and nearly 2000m ascent.

Another Challenge Ride next week. Hornsea Mere. A pretty flat 220k affair. Should be fairly benign. Prob an 0800 start, but I'll confirm later in the week.
by Graham R Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:36 pm
After Friday nights exertions up lofrthouse and beyond the K Ride to Beverley was just the ticket, it was not until we had left the square an alternative had been proposed but that wasn't a problem and the R ride set off why R that's a secret never to be told.
Off through Stockton on forest , Stamford bridge, Pocklington over the woods to a cracking little cafe Folly Lake Cafe, suitabley refreshed the route home began through narrow and rambling lanes back towards York, home just after 5pm cracking ride my thanks to Bernard, Dave, Chris, Billy, Alison and my son.
Catch you in the square.