Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by James Milner Sun May 21, 2017 11:12 am
Just 5 of us in the square for a 9:30 start for the ride to Osmotherley, Dave C, Dr Joe, Ian H and Dr Dave having set off even earlier. The two docs needing to get back early and Dave and Ian wishing to ride at a slighlty easier pace. That left myself, Rich, John B, Graham and Les B riding from the square. Les has been with the club for a while and done the odd ride with us, but has been largely riding with the muddy wheelers over the last few months. Good to have some cross over in the club I feel.

Under bright skies a gentle tail wind assisted us through Sutton, Huby, Crayke and onwards to Coxwold and up White Horse Bank.

Particular care was taken when descending in to Hawnby as fowl play was anticipated! Fortunately, on this occasion, the previously offending birds chose to stay well out of harm's way!

The Moors looked as magnificent as ever and the weather remained favorable all the way to Osmotherley where, due to the usual cafe being shut we continued north and stopped at the Lord Stones country park cafe at the top of Carlton Bank. The food was good and prices reasonable although I have to say that the the service was on the slow side, which was actually just as well as John B had decided that he needed to get a few more miles in and was already at Chop Gate before he realised he had dropped the two guys behind him and had to turn round and do the 3 miles or so back up the hill to the cafe! Chapeau John!

The rain had just started to fall when we emerged from the cafe and never really stopped all the way home. In view of this, when we stopped to regroup at the top of Newgate Bank the decision was taken to take the low road home via Helmsley, Harome and Castle Howard.

Arrived back in York, a little on the damp side, but having enjoyed a good day out at 5:20 with 96 miles on the clock.

As has already been documented elsewhere, there is no Pock Pedal next week, so it's business as usual in the square on Saturday.
by Dr Dave Sun May 21, 2017 11:32 am
As James has mentioned Joe and I had to be back by 2ish so rode out early with Dave and Ian. Lovely morning ride up and over WHB and down to Hawnby where the ambush squad were seen lurking at the roadside waiting to snare another innocent victim. All joking aside this is a significant potential road hazard IMO and it can only be a matter of time before they cause another cycling incident - with potentially more serious consequences. Take care down there!
We parted with Dave and Ian at the junction at the bottom of chicken hill and rode up and over to Helmsley where a quick snack and drink fortified us for the ride home via Ampleforth and Easingwold. Unfortunately it started pouring just at the outskirts of York so we got a good soaking but this didn't detract from a good half-day out. Cheers for the company chaps!

Keep pedalling!
by Rob Sun May 21, 2017 3:31 pm
Andy G, Steen and myself rode the Hot Trodd 400k Audax up in the Scottish Borders. Started near Ponteland at 0930 on Saturday - Winter Gibbet Hill - Carter bar - Hawick - Lockerbie - Moffat - Peebles - Coldstream - Morpath and back to Ponteland. Pretty wet for most of Saturday, but spectacular roads looked like they were from a car advert... My favourite stretch was the 60km from Moffat to Peebles - probably the finest 60k of the year. We climbed amongst dramatic fells in the evening light, wisps of mist in the valleys, then a stupendous descent into the Tweed valley. A few night-time navigational issues got us to Coldstream at about 1am. Got our heads down for a couple of hours, then set off again at first light to nail the last 90k. Back in Ponetland at 8am. 415k and 3200m climb.

I spent a while on the night leg wondering if a Hot Trodd was an alcoholic beverage to be served at the end, but apparently its something to do with a medaeval law about cattle rustling...

Thanks to Andy and Steen for towing me up the long climbs, and keeping the group together. Can safely say that will be the longest ride of the year for me.