Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by DavidShort Mon May 15, 2017 2:33 pm
Dear All,

A reminder that this week, due to a road closure from Sheriff Hutton to Bulmer rendering the course unsafe to use, we will be switching to the Sutton flat 10 course starting and finishing at Sutton bridge adjacent to the cricket ground.

We have organisers, timekeeper and 1 marshal, ( thank you Ian, 3 weeks running!). We need a further 3 marshals as a minimum and a pusher off, (4 would be ideal to position 1 marshal at the Sheriff end of Moxby lane to remind riders to turn left there for the finish and not charge on towards Sheriff Hutton!).

I've had to call on the good nature of former Police colleagues to waive the usual 28 statutory notice to ensure we can change the course at the last minute so let's not fail for the lack of marshals.

If you can assist with any of the roles for Thursday evening then please add your name against the event in the Volunteer Spreadsheet.

Judging by the turn out for the first event of the series on this course, 29 riders, this is a popular course suitable for all ages & abilities. It was great to see a mix of men, women and junior members taking part as well as the usual suspects.

In anticipation of volunteers coming forward, ( the membership always comes good), see you Thursday night. First rider away at 19.30hrs. :D

Kind regards David
by DavidShort Tue May 16, 2017 2:53 pm
Many thanks to Ian for offering to go off last man and act as 'pusher off' and thanks to James for offering to marshal. This gives us a total of 4 marshals, the minimum we need to run the event. With Paul & Cath Musgrave as organisers and Bernard as timekeeper the Sutton 10miler TT on Thursday 18th May is good to Go!!!

Paul & Cath, may I suggest you use the 'event package' made up for the last event of the series, at the back of the organisers folder for this event and simply amend the date. I'll bring a new pack to replace the one used. I hope that makes sense. If you need to call to check up on anything please phone me on 01347 889504. The mobile signal is almost non existent up here in Yearsley!

Many thanks everyone.

Kind regards David
by Keith G Tue May 16, 2017 8:30 pm
David, following sore legs from Sunday's Etape du Dales I was going to volunteer to marshal at this one but you seem to have all you need - unless any extra help is required? Let me know if so, otherwise I'll marshal at a later event. :D

Keith
by DavidShort Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 am
Hi Keith,

Your help would be much appreciated. Ian was volunteering to 'push off' and ride as last man so a dedicated 'pusher off would be more preferable. Also, I'm sure Bernard would appreciate someone to call numbers as riders cross the finishing line. I'm much obliged. I'll put you on the spreadsheet.

Kind regards David
by paulM Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 pm
Hi All

Apologies would have posted sooner but a few technology issues. Thanks all for volunteering to marshal / push off - I'm sure we will figure it all out on the day. Thanks David for sorting out the police notification - I'm ok with the paperwork. Better weather has been booked! I've spoken with Bernard tonight as one of the watches in the box of tricks has died. He is already on the case with this. We just need about 25 riders please to avoid any overlap!

cheers

Paul
by craigdabrown Thu May 18, 2017 6:39 am
Hi Paul/Bernard

With regard to the stopwatches, we had a discussion about this a couple of weeks back and Chris Rowley, who has been Timekeeper at the last two events, kindly said that he had had one, or possibly two, Timex stopwatches which he'd purchased a while back, had never used, and would be happy to donate to the Club. We accepted this generous offer by e-mail and I assumed that these were passed on at the last event, although I wasn't there in person.

Thanks,
Craig
by DavidShort Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 am
Dear All,

No worries. The stop watches which Chris has kindly donated to the club were given to Dave I'Anson last week to pass on to Bernard so that he had time to familiarise himself with the timepieces for this evenings event. The 'old' stop watches were replaced in the organiser's box for safekeeping. I'll remove them tonight to avoid any further confusion.

See you all tonight. The weather forecast is good with a very light north westerly.

Kind regards David
by DavidShort Thu May 18, 2017 9:41 am
I've just been round the course on the motorbike, ( part of the 'belt and braces' service). The course is all clear and good to go. No roadworks. There are patches of loose gravel here and there from yesterdays deluge and the usual pot holes.

See you all tonight.

David
by James Milner Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 am
Just a couple of points I wanted to bring up following Thursday evening's time trial.

As you know I was marshaling at the junction of Pottery Lane and the Strensall to Sheriff road.

The first one is regarding rear lights on bikes. It was a fairly gloomy evening on Thursday and it was apparent to me in the position I was that many of the drivers speeding along from Strensall towards Sheriff would have had great difficulty spotting some of the riders until the last minute. Indeed it was noticeable that riders who chose to use rear lights were much more visible from a greater distance. I know this has been suggested before but after watching on Thursday I really do feel it would be a good idea to make rear lights compulsory for this event.

Secondly, I think we need to remind riders to be extra vigilant about how much of the road they use when pulling out at junctions. Whilst everyone was pretty vigilant about checking to the right at that junction, there were a number of riders who took the corner so wide that they strayed across on to the far side of the road in to the path of vehicles coming from Sheriff to Strensall. In fact there was at least one rider who came dangerously close to hitting an oncoming car. I know there's not much more we can do about this other than to remind people of the potential dangers.

It's been good to see the TT's so well attended by such a wide cross section of the members this year. It would be awful to think that all the good work that's been done could be marred by an incident which could have been avoided.