Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon May 08, 2017 11:32 am
Lots going on. Usual club rides on Saturday, I think it was Fred W in the Lakes, and I think club members are TTing and RRing as well.

It was just me and Steen for Yorkshire Alps, on reflection we might have moved this too early in the summer for most. Always a tough ride, made more so this year by the lack of wheels to follow and the stiff northerly wind over all the climbs. Hundreds of cyclists out in the lanes, including a sportif that appeared to be called Fat Lad at the Back (not joking, it said this on the jerseys...). They disappeared at Kettlewell presumably up Park Rash where they'll have been some suffering as there were a lot of novices.

So for us it was Greenhow, Fleets Moss, Buttertubs, Tan Hill and The Stang. Café in Kettlewell and Richmond, but elsewise we just kept at it. Nice tailwind down the Vale Of York to finish. 260k, 3000m ascent, 9000 kcals - a little delicate today.

Something much more sensible next Sunday. Watch this space.
by Dr Dave Mon May 08, 2017 11:56 am
I believe it was a Sportif run by the clothing brand - presumably to enhance brand awareness and hence sales?

Keep pedalling!
by Graham R Mon May 08, 2017 1:51 pm
Well done on completion of the Yorkshire Alps, on Saturday I was out with the K group lots of people out for the ride to Thornton le dale, baldersons must have had a good day when we all turned up, met more new faces names I'm not good at, thanks to Kevin for a good route and everyone else for their freindly company.
See you all Saturday.

Graham R
by MarkF Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 pm
I thought about the Yorkshire Alps (for all of 1 and ½ seconds) and decided that the K ride would be for me. Never been to Thornton le Dale on a ride – despite the slight chill in the air, the route seemingly drawing huge support as the masses flooded into the Square for 10 – not seen such numbers since residents weekend and the Gallery doors opened for free.

Would be easier to type out of the names of the usuals who were not there rather than those who were (which is a weak excuse for (unforgiveably) not knowing the names of all who turned out). The big group headed out of town strung out as if we were on an alpine climb but we managed to re-group just after Stockton Lane – when lo and behold we stumbled across Graham and Tony ready to join this growing band.

Kevin and Bernard devised a cunning plan to split the growing group into two, which worked a treat (for a while). We all ‘accidentally’ re-grouped at the village at the bottom of the Birdsall Bank, whatever it's called. Seeing a lone rider on 3rd row, I moved up to dutifully fill the gap – only to be severely reprimanded by Bernard and Claire for being ‘in the wrong group’. Anyway.

With Settrington Bank out of the way, and a bit of enforced main road riding, it was straight into the headwind across the plains to Thornton le Dale. A huge turn on the front by Graham and Tony ensured a good pace all the way to the café despite the 'breeze'. Back via Castle Howard where Jon G appeared suddenly out of nowhere after an apparent solo and heroic ride of the Moors. A good run back into town ensued and home with 81 miles on the clock. Great to see so many out and a good run for this time of year me thinks. Maybe the Alps another day (!)