Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:03 am
"Grass roots" competition - sociable and accessible to all; its what Clifton do best - discuss.....

Yesterday's official result:

Matt Shipley, Clifton, 6-04
Paul Musgrave, Clifton, 6-19
Arthur Clune, Clifton, 6-24
Simon Hudson, Harrogate Nova, 6-41
Martin Land, Clifton, 6-58
Steve Savage, Clifton, 7-01
Andy Stanforth, Clifton, 7-03
Joshua Arnold, York Uni, 7-07
Arnie Pearson, Clifton, 7-10
Michael Collis, Clifton, 7-14
Nigel Lawson, Clifton, 7-22
Ian Hagyard, Clifton, 7-40
James Mason, Clifton, 7-41
Richard Wilson, Clifton, 7-46
Helen Scull, Clifton, 7-58
Chris Mawer, KRT, 8-07
N. Cattel, York Uni, 8-19
Ed White, York Uni, 8-28
Keith Benton, VC167, 8-34
Keith Whatley, Clifton, 8-39
Andy + Hazel Stanforth, Clifton, 9-00 (tandem)
Dave Byworth, Clifton, 9-26
Willy Hoedeman, Clifton, 9-32
Phil Burton, KRT, 9-55

Of course there's a story behind each ride, but some of those that I know:

Well done to Matt - fine ride and finishing off a great season in style. Hill climbing is a young man's game they say - note 15 year old James Mason's first competitive ride; great stuff. 67 year old Arny Pearson, meanwhile, loves being the exception to any rule! Helen Scull claims not to have been training (like all serious racing cyclists) but trounced her own women's record for the climb. Andy Stanforth rode solo, descended, then got on the tandem with Hazel to set a new mixed tandem record for the climb. Richard Wilson rode with a broken handlebar (how?) Great to see the Uni boys along - hope you can join us for other rides through the winter.

Big thankyou to Claire for pulling it all together and her band of merry helpers - Phil Duston, Cath and Peter Musgrave, Siobhan Osman and Bernard Turgoose.
Last edited by Rob on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Arthur Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:16 am
And I think everyone that rode the event also rode out and back from York. Find me another club that can get that many people to ride 15 miles out then compete.

Many thanks to Claire for organising. Excellent day. Tea and cakes at Millington was definitely more pleasurable than riding up the hill though!

by MarkA Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:24 pm
After a bit of a struggle i think i have managed to get the rest of the photos up

Apologies to anyone i missed or those disappearing off the edge of the shot

I only had a cameraphone and the battery ran out towards the end

Will liase with Nick and Helen and get the group shots from the cafe up as soon as poss - aka the photos Willie took balanced on the picnic table

EDITED by MA
Now available: http://www.cliftoncc.org/PICS/Post_Hill_Climb_2007/

Well done to all who rode the event.

And thanks for an excellent ride afterwards.
by pearsarn Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:12 am
Just logged on to the site from the sunny Pyrenees and great to see Matt's name at the top of leader board. What kind of time will he do when he gets his knees sorted out?
As a lot of people know my son lives in the Pyrenees near Luchon and I try to get out to see him twice a year to do a bit of secret training for the hill climb. Yesterday I climbed the Col de Menthe and the Superbagneres de Luchon both a bit longer than Worsendale (1 hour and one and half hours respectively) and the scenery was magnificent. My son runs a couple of Gites slap bang in the middle of TdF climbing country. Anyone who might be interested in a holiday in that area of France is invited to look at his website on http://www.pyreneesholidaygites.com/