Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by like my bike Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm
Fantastic turnout for the Sunday Club Ride, Legitimate Climbs x 10 we left the Square 13 riders strong heading out towards the Sutton Bank/Boltby area for a bit of climbing, great day, nice cafe stop at the Gliding club, lots of good group riding, feeling it a bit today! 160km 2200 m climbing for me, thanks everyone who played their part

A J
by Steen Berg Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:39 pm
Well done to all who came out for the ride on Sunday its been a while since we have had those numbers. I think the effort was worth it great weather and a route to test those legs in the spring.

Illegitimate riders of note were Bob who got round in fine style even after being out with 8.45 ride on Saturday morning. Also Tom another on his first outing on a Sunday Club Run who had never rode 150km before and it was the first time cycling over 2000m of climbing in one ride. Weaker man would have been screaming for mercy.

Not sure where we are going next Sunday however its likely to be the perfect preparation for the next challenge ride Yorkshire Alps on May 7th

Steen
by Dan Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:46 pm
Thanks to Steen and all the other riders on Sunday's ride. Had a great day but my legs were sure feeling it towards the end. Been a while since I've cycled anything as tough. :D
by Rob Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 am
Indeed. It was a formidable display of group riding to finish 10 riders together around that route.
It also takes a lot of creativity to come up with these rides, so massive thanks to Steen for devising such a unique and "challenging" parcour. To cover that number of climbs in such a small geographic area with only one short stretch of road repeated is quite an achievement. Silver Fox Farm is my favourite climb, Boltby is surely the hardest.

The next rendez-vous for the Challenge Series is Yorkshire Alps on Sunday week, as Steen says. It'll be a massive day out with an early start and late finish and we're planning some of the best mountain roads in northern Europe. There's a bit of Clifton history to this ride and I'll post later to tell the story.
by G. Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:02 am
The start of the time trialling season in earnest for me, with the YCF 25 on Satuday. Okay, I'd done a couple before but this was the first one where I wanted to do well. As it was I underperformed with a 57:06 - on a nice day too. Oh well, there's the Drighlington BC 25 in a couple of weeks, I'll have to do better then.

Congrats to Michael Schofield though: he got a top 10 in the Otley 25 the next day!

Clifton Club TT Series
Our club TTs start next week! I'm looking forward to riding it again, it's always good fun :D
The first one of these is on the Sutton course - more info here. Turn up on the night to ride.
We've got enough marshals but could do with a timekeeper. Sign up here if you can do it.

Malton Wheelers club TTs
These start tomorrow with a 5 mile course on the road between Malton and Pickering. Malton have invited us all to go ride their events - they say we're very welcome at any of them. Their webpage is here which gives details of all their events - some north of Malton and some more laney ones in the Coneysthorpe area, which should be good fun to ride.
by craigdabrown Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:26 pm
Absolutely fantastic to read that there were 13 riders out on the Challenge Series ride on Sunday, well done to everyone involved.

Not being able to participate in Club Rides at the moment has highlighted to me just how important the "Weekend Roundup" posts are. More please!
by Jon G Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:28 pm
7 out on the A ride to leyburn , dr Dave, graham, John b, James, kev m, jai, and myself. A long ride but benign terrain meant for a good pace throughout the day and all 7 finished :wink: Graham decided to stop at masham though on the way out and we caught him again just after Bedale on the return leg. Well catered for in the posthorn cafe, one of my favourites. I was feeling it in the legs not sure about anyone else by the end. Should be out Saturday but would be good to know what the plan is for the tour de Yorkshire. I know some said it would be discussed in the pub on Wednesday. Personally can't make that social occasion :( so see you all in the square :D

Jon
by dave c Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm
Malton 5m TT tomorrow night is cancelled according to their fb page
by Graham R Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 am
Firstly many thanks to everyone I met for my first ride Saturday, to those I met in the square before being introduced to Kevin and everyone on the K ride, nice day out to Hutton le Hole and back it was really enjoyable and hope to be out most week's and if given the chance Wednesdays.
I have a question about the weekend coming are there any plans for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I can't get to the social and I know the emails are circulated Friday , so any plans would be good.
Cheers again for the welcome

Regards

Graham
by James Milner Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:44 am
In reply to Graham R's post:
A few of us are planning to ride out Pocklington way on Friday and possibly watch the race at Garrowby. No firm plans yet but the race is due up Garrowby at around 2pm. Will try to keep you posted when I have more info.
by Jon G Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:44 pm
I'm also off work Friday and was thinking of riding out to pocklington from home so might bump into you James. :D