Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Tullio Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:14 am
6 of us headed off to the Dales for the Club MTB ride on Saturday. Despite light rain as we left York, by the time we'd topped the 1st climb out of Lofthouse, it gave way to dry weather and some patches of sun.

We did a figure of 8 covering 3 of the Dales, including some steep climbs and wonderful descents. Final tally was nearly 50km and >1500m of climbing. Views were spectacular, coloured in with some autumnal shades.

A well deserved trip to a Pateley Bridge Tea Shop to refuel finished the day off nicely.

by Rob Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:19 am
That sounds good Paul.
9 of us on the clubrun (Sunday) enjoying some of the best cycling conditions imaginable. Flattish route up the Vale to Thorpe Perrow (my agents had warned me of a sheep fair in Masham). Then turn at Bedale and back through Bagby/Kilburn. Top stuff.
Anyone want to report on the Saturday clubrun?
Was it Andy's final Trailquest at the weekend?

by Tullio Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:28 am
Modesty clearly prevents Andy from reporting on his Trailquest progress.

He's leading his category in the league with 1 round to go on 13th October at Dalby. I'll be there to see him lift the trophy, hopefully.

by ClaireG Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:49 pm
Saturday saw 11 members heading off in the Millington Pastures direction, followed by a good route choice through Huggate, Warter, Nunburnholme and on to Allerthorpe for cafe stop.

Quiet lanes, better weather than forecast (isn't it always), no rain and a good 62 miles.

New members on this ride doing really well, thanks to Kevin for steering everyone within their capabilities.

There seems plenty of enthusiasm for the hill climb next week (can never resist another chance for a plug!).

Hopefully you carbon frames will wait for me on the ride out, I'm back onto winter frame, with summer one stripped for essential mechanicals - it reminded me what it feels like to ride with an extra 10lbs in weight (I know, I have a very old heavy winter bike!).

See you there,
Claire
by pearsarn Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:00 pm
Matt and me rode the Leeds Westfield 10 on the V214 on Saturday afternoon. It wasn't a bad day, sunny with a moderate to strong N'ly head wind on the way out, but very fast on the return. Matt did a pb by nearly one and a half minutes posting a 22.39. I did 25.03, fastest for 4 years and we both won our respective groups (£20 each). There was another Clifton rider (sorry forgot his name) who came second in my group with a long "25". Chris Newton won the event with a 19.27.

by Mike Collis Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:49 pm
Yes Saturday was a great ride and good to have nice weather as well.

Sunday ride out when out to Masham 35miles getting there with a nice flat ride and no traffic. New members also came along for the ride 11 turn out and the weather much better than Saturday(too much clothing for the cold start to the day).

After the stop headed out towards Dalton, Kilburn, Coxwold, Easingwold and through the bottom of Crake. Nice climbs on the second half of the ride after Easingwold back to the flats towards Stillington, Strensall and Haxby.

The second half of the ride was 50miles up to Haxby.

Looking forward to the hill climb also, when will there be a little info regarding the route?

by paulM Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:36 pm
There will be a group riding out from Exhibition Square at 9:00am to the hillclimb instead of the usual club ride. I would recomend taking some warm clothes if its a bit of a cool day and a spare base layer as you are likely to be hanging about for a while when we get to the start at Bishop Wilton.