Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Dr Dave Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 am
The Saturday Inters ride went west to Bolton Abbey under unbroken blue skies. 10 riders left the square: James, Ian R, Tony, Graham, Stu, Jon G, Rich, Rob M, John B and self. A steady ride out to Brimham Rocks via Markington, then down through Glasshouses and up Greenhow Hill. A re-grouping at the top and then a long swoop down to lunch at the Cavendish Pavilion.
After a brief stop sitting out in glorious sunshine we made our way back along the valley, with Rob taking a detour over Langbar before rejoining us before we got to Otley :shock:
Once we got to Kirkby Overblow the decision was taken to split into 2 groups to facilitate an early return for those who needed to get back. I got back to York with 97 miles on the clock and a lovely day. If only the weather was like that every week.
At the moment the suggested route for next week - weather dependant - is Egton Bridge via the Roman road and back via Glaisdale and Rosedale.....

Keep pedalling!
by JohnS Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 am
Scotton 100 for me this weekend. With no training ride on Saturday (Rich was saving his legs :wink: ) I thought I'd get out for a little spin. The weather was just too nice not to and I ended up at Brimham Rocks via Ripon and Markington. I was tempted to head up over the moor to Masham in the sunshine but common sense prevailed and I headed back via Ripon and Knaresborough. 3 hours in the bank was a little more than I had originally intended but the sun was shining!

So over to Staveley for the Scotton 100 on Sunday and another lovely day so shorts sleeves and shorts were the order of the day. Event was really well organized by Cycleworks (well done guys) with timing chips and a fully marked route (which was a huge benefit). I've ridden the route 4 or 5 times now but it's still easy to take a wrong turn so well done to Fraz and the Cycleworks crew.

After a bit of a mare last year I'd decided to try a different strategy this year and set off on Group 2 and ride a negative split strategy. Ride the first hillier part within myself and the push on for the second half. So I signed on for Group 2. Outside bumped into Martin Vesty and Andy Windrum both of whom scoffed at my timid approach and declared they'd sort it out. Lo and behold when I checked with 15 minutes to the start there was my name crossed out in Group 2 and firmly in Group 1!

So off with Group 1 bang on 10am. The pace was quick on the first road section and I could feel my legs from Saturday which was a slight worry. Into the first off-road section and it all kicked off as usual. At the back of the group I kept in touch with the tail enders and rejoined the main group just before the road section. Normally the pace moderates here but this year the pace was high with attacks off the front (including Damian).

Into Ripley I was badly positioned at the back and lost contact with the main group on the off-road climb. With hindsight I should have worked to get to the front so could drop back within the group and worked a bit harder as I rode within myself on the climb.

A group of 4 of us formed through Burnt Yates and this grew to about 8 as we descended down to Ripon. On the rocky descent to Ripon my chain jumped off as I'm running a single chainring on my cross bike. With no option but to jump off to put the chain back on I lost the group and had to chase hard to get back on just making contact in Ripon.

Up to Shipton and on the next sections off-road heading over to Dishforth I felt good. The legs had warmed up and I couldn't feel Saturday's miles in my legs and although the pace off-road was high I was comfortable. Then I lost my chain again and I had no option but to wave goodbye as the group disappeared over the horizon.

From Dishforth over to Cundall and into Topcliffe I was on my own. As I turned from Topcliffe into the wind I was caught by 3 Nova lads 1 had been dropped earlier and the other 2 had been part of our original group but had punctured. The pace picked up and we caught another rider growing our group to 5. We worked well up to Helperby and Aldwark just losing 1 to a puncture on the sandy lane before Aldwark. At the bridge we were held up by the toll keeper who was being in a particularly officious mood insisting we all stopped and waited despite the road being perfectly clear.

After that little interlude it was up to Ouseburn and the push up the hill and over to the A1. This section was a timed section and our group split. Dropped on the steeper part of the climb I recovered and dropped my companion as we crested the hill and dropped down the bumpy track. Unfortunately it was too bumpy and I lost my chain for the 3rd and final time as my companion shot past. We then played hare and hounds as I tried to chase him down and he tried to stay away. A big effort got me to within 10 yards of him into Staveley but I just couldn't catch him before the finish.

Overall a great ride. 3 hours 14 minutes saw me take 15 minutes off my personal best and nearly 45 minutes faster than last year. Without the mechanicals I'm pretty sure I'd have hung with the original group and probably got within 3.10 but I'm happy. Chain catcher needed for next year!

Chapeau to Andy Windrum and the first group over the line in a fantastic 3 hours 2 minutes!

A great day out and definitely one of the best rides of the year.

John