Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by DavidShort Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:28 pm
Dear All,

The 2017 series is almost upon us with the first event taking place on the Sutton flat 10 circuit on Thursday 4th May. I'm most grateful to Billy for stepping up to the mark to organise the first one. Also to Steen who is volunteering to marshal. BUT, we need more marshals to ensure the event can go ahead safely and comply with the Risk Assessment. All help gratefully received. You can click on to the volunteer spreadsheet on the SPOCO series web page and simply add your name.

For those who might find the prospect of 'organising' a bit daunting. Worry ye not. I have prepared an 'Event organisers Folder' in which each Thursday evening event has it's own sub folder in chronological order. Each sub folder contains;

Map showing where signs and marshals are required.
Briefing notes for organiser and riders
Risk assessment.
Copy of Police & CTT notification form.
Dynamic Risk assessment form which MUST be completed on the night immediately before the event.
Signing on sheets for competitors and volunteers.
Results sheet for the timekeeper.
Junior parental consent forms.

There will be plenty of help on hand from those who have organised so there is nothing to worry about.

This year we are opening invitations to 'guests of the club' provided they are already a member of a recognised club. Clifton CC members will take precedent in the event we are butting up to the maximum number of entrants permitted in a club event, which is 40 riders.

We are also running, in conjunction with York Cycle works, a couple of events on a fast and flat 10 mile circuit around Wheldrake.

So, everything is in place for what should be a great series. All we need now are volunteers to ensure they can go ahead and competitors. We would especially welcome those who have never tried time trialling before. Come along and try it. You never know you may even like it!

See you on Thursday 4th May at Sheriff Hutton Bridge for the first rider of the 2017 season to be away at 7.30pm!

Kind regards David
TT Sec'
by G. Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:51 pm
To provide a few of the vital links that David's missed out ...

The League
Eleven events, listed here.
Turn up to sign on at 7 for a 7:30 start, £5 adults, £2 juniors/students.
To qualify for the league, you need to ride at least five events and volunteer at at least one – unless you’re a junior, in which case you don’t need to volunteer.

New course? That's exciting, where is it?!
It's between Wheldrake and Escrick - map here. It’s quiet but fast and flat, with better surfaces and fewer junctions than the Sutton course.

Volunteering? How do I do that?
You sign up to volunteer by adding your name to our Google spreadsheet, which is also linked from our TT webpage

How do I organize an event?
I’m about to get the organizer handbooks off David and put them online.
You’ll then be able to read them before you sign up and reassure yourself that it’s not too daunting – it really isn’t that hard!

What's this 'Come and Try It' event?
CATIs are special events for newcomers - you can ride one even if you're not part of a cycling club.
We're running one on June 1st, on the Stittenham 6 mile circuit. This circuit proved very popular with riders of all ages last year, so if you know anyone who wants to dip a toe into competitive cycling, why not invite them along?