Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Dr Dave Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 am
The 10 am 'A' group left the square bound for Osmotherley via White Horse bank. All went fine until the decent to Hawnby when a flock of chickens wandered onto the road and one of them took down Craig. He fell off onto his L shoulder at some speed and immediately realised that he had fractured his collar-bone having sustained a similar fracture previously.
An ambulance was summoned and the opportunity was taken to eat at the cafe in the village. After about an hour the ambulance arrived and Craig was tended to before being transported to the James Cook in Middlebrough to be checked out. I understand that he was allowed home later and is being seen for review later this week in York. All our wishes for a speedy recovery Craig.
The remainder of the group - somewhat subdued - elected to turn R after Hawnby across to Newgate bank and thence back via Helmsley.
I understand that Rich collected Craig's bike on Sunday from the tearoom in Hawnby - well done that man.

Keep pedalling!
by craigdabrown Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 am
Yeah, April Fools Day indeed.

Thanks to the A-Riders and guys at the Hawnby cafe for getting me safely off to hospital on Saturday and particularly to Rich Chester for collecting my bike from Hawnby yesterday.

Ambulance crew were from James Cook hospital, in Middlesbrough, so was taken there. X-ray appeared to show that I've broken my left collarbone in two places. Also got a badly-gouged left knee and done something to my calf muscle but hopefully it's just a bit wrenched and bruised. Got an appointment at fracture clinic in York on Thursday. A&E doc seemed to think I'll need collarbone pinned but won't know until Thursday.

Must've looked a right sight getting the train back from Middlesbrough - hobbling along wearing cycling shoes, arm in sling, a big bandage on my knee, one leg of my cycling shorts hacked-off and the rest of my cycling parafernalia in a bright-orange bio-hazard waste bag.

Still, could've been worse.

And no. I'm not sure if the chicken made it or get the chance to ask why it was crossing the road but hats-off to KevM for ordering a chicken sandwich at the Hawnby cafe.
Last edited by craigdabrown on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by G. Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:23 am
Ow Craig, sorry to hear that!

Not many people can say they've played chicken with a chicken though, so well done there :wink:
by Rob Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:22 pm
Well, glad to say, the Sunday ride was rather less eventful. Although there felt like a lot of bad tempered and foul-mouthed motorists out there. I usually let all that stuff wash over me, but there were some particularly unpleasant characters out there this time which took the shine off a glorious route on a glorious day.

We rode out to Castleton via Blakey Bank and back via Fry-up Dale, a couple of tough climbs, particularly this early in the season. Well done to Simon, James, Steen and Andy and thanks for the company.

I'm not out for the next couple of weeks, but am sure the irregulars will put on a show for you...

R