Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by stevesavage Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:11 pm
As advertised the clubrun on Sunday incorporated the Arthur Metcalfe Memorial Ride. A group of 7 rode out to Easingwold and then did the "challenging" 75 mile route making for an overall distance of about 115 miles. We missed the official start but saw an impressive peloton of over 100 riders coming the other way including our own Malcolm. Weather was surprisingly mild and we stayed dry and had the benefit of a strong southerly for much of the route. Had lunch in the most expensive cafe in Yorkshire (excluding Betty's)! I always enjoy this ride and in addition have the satisfaction of helping to raise over £4000 for Macmillan cancer.
by mal Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:00 am
stevesavage wrote: ... We missed the official start but saw an impressive peloton of over 100 riders coming the other way ...

It seemed to be quite a fast peloton as well. By the time I got to Amotherby my average speed was 19mph, which is fast for me as those of you who know me will appreciate. It did drop a bit after that as I rode the rest of the way on my own - as per usual! Agree with the charitable bit Steve, I've ridden it every year since it started.

by MarkA Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:36 am
Agree with the charitable bit Steve, I've ridden it every year since it started.

Yes i was sorry to miss it
As you know we were planning to do the family version but in the end felt it was a bit much for Hol who was off on an outward bound type course Mon am

Anyway to avert disappointment in other quarters we held our own with a York starting point and Millie and I rode tandem

We never made Easingwold though as got diverted by Beningbrough Hall and thought of choccie cake in restaurant

Still top fun on the cycle path and came home armed with lots of conkers

Do i get the prize for the most non racing oriented weekend update ever?

by PhilBixby Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:50 am
"Do i get the prize for the most non racing oriented weekend update ever?"

No, Mark :D

I spent Saturday on me way back from France and Sunday retrieving the bike from the bike bag and reassembling it, followed by a lengthy session pining for empty, sunny, roads and staring longingly at me holiday pics. Was sorry to miss the Arthur Metcalfe tho, it's been good fun in previous years.

by Andy J Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:46 pm
I rode the Doncaster Wheelers RR on sunday, was 17 laps of a 2.2mile circuit which was pretty flat. A group of five went away and stayed away. A crash split the field in two with 8 laps left, about 15 riders didnt manage to get back on. I came 7/8th in the bunch sprint putting me just outside the top 10 so no points this week.
by Willy H Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:04 pm
As it turned out I found myself doing the ride solo, which was fine. Perhaps longer advance notice would have enabled those with early interest to firm-up their personal arrangements in time.

But I had another great weekend of long rides, this time all following wind and fast times. With excursions the mileage (sorry, kilometrage) came to an easy 302kms over the two days.

I can see and will promote a Great Ride North as an annual event for the Clifton Calendar, especially suited for a bank holiday, as great variety can be built into the basic plan. Here goes:

Day 1: Ride-out to Edmundbyers YHA for overnight stay via Barnard Castle. Optional rail return to York possible from Darlington.

Day 2: On to Berwick on Tweed for rail return to York, or reduced mileage return from Alnmouth.
Optional overnight stay YHA for 3rd day ride to Edinburgh.
Optional MTB riders meet at Kielder for w/e stay at Edmundbyers
Optional Clifton family meet incorporated in these plans

Day 3: On to Edinburgh for rail return to York

On the road it would give 3 days of the absolutely finest riding in UK, and will make a reasonably tough, memorable and sociable Clifton event with sufficient flexibility to allow most members to take part, and could easily incorporate family w/e holiday aspects.

What do you think?

by Helen Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:49 pm
Willy

I am sorry we couldn't make it sounds a good ride.
I think your plan of making it an anual event sounds great.
The options are really good and will suit those of us who find overnights difficult to fit in.

Helen