Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by MarkA Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:35 am
We have joined the ride to work scheme administered by Halfords.
And it seems rude not to take advantage.
Was wondering whether a cross bike might make sense as a good all rounder.

I took a quick look at the Focus bikes imported by Wiggle and a Pinnacle sold by Evans (reduced at moment) which featured in Saturdays paper.

Potential uses (other than commuting):
All year round riding: hopefully in winter they will take a full mudguard at least on the rear for bunch riding?
Scooting off down bridleways as urge takes me
And I have a bit of a hankering to have a go at the 3 peaks one year!

I know both Andy Js have one and would be interested in feedback + any other recommended options.

I presume they have slightly higher bottom brackets and the frames are a bit "burlier" with extra mud clearance but can't see why that should be much of an issue: in fact looking at the higher end Focus ones they are lighter than my road bike!

by Tullio Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:36 pm
Mark, I don't know the answer to your question but would be interested in linking up to have a go at the 3 Peaks. It's an ambition of mine I've yet to realise.

I'd toyed with the idea of building a lightweight hardtail on the basis that I'd find more uses for it than a dedicated 'cross' machine. I must confess that I haven't checked the rules out on what machines are allowed though.

by Rob Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:02 pm
Guys, I too am keen to fulfill a long standing ambition to ride the 3 peaks, maybe even next year.... My understanding is that MTBs are not allowed due to some prejudice amongst some of the land owners. Can't comment on what constitutes an MTB though....

As to Mark's original question... I know the old Airborne Carpe Diem (fine name for a bike) was strictly a cross bike cum touring bike and AJ has some experience of these. Full mudguard clearance, canti brakes and low weight. If this bike constitutes a good all rounder then maybe so do other cross bikes...

R

by like my bike Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:52 pm
Best 3 peaks set up cross bike (suspension & disc brakes not allowed)
Mountain bike gears - triple
Flat handle bars - (there is a max. width check website)
Tyre - Landcruisers, with 80 PSI 'bullet proof'
Wheels Hope hubs, Mavic pro rims you can trash the rims in the peaks

Top boy's have min. two bikes one for hill sections fat tyres compact gears, one for road sections, road gears, lightweight wheels & cross fine tread tubs.

Essential Kit

Camel back - or drinks from helpers it your brave
Rugby undervest - for shoulder protection
Get used to Gels

Training

Ride the training ride in August organised by 3 peaks organiser it a full day and a great experince (see BC website)

Walk up hills carrying heavy rucksack (Lake District or Yorks Dales)

Ride cross bike over rocky trails

Next years event will be a struggle, as this years event has been cancelled and the organiser is carrying entries forward to 08.

Allrounder

Back to Marks original question a cross bike is a great touring bike, training bike and commuter.

Check you get all the braze 'ons' for guards and racks

A J

by MarkA Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:26 pm
There is a ton of good stuff here

http://www.3peakscyclocross.org.uk

Including a few guide lines on what is acceptable

Only competitors riding cyclo-cross bikes will be allowed to take part. Mountain bikes (or any other type of two-wheeled transport) are not permitted and anyone who appears (in the opinion of the race officials) to contravene this rule will be disqualified and/or prevented from taking part in the race.

Which is all v interesting but doesnt get me much further re whether i should get a cross bike or not:

A bit more googling revealed the planetx chaps seem to have got the ride to work scheme cracked and do an Uncle John cross machine in club colours!

by paulM Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:22 pm
Mark - Having had the shortest cyclo-cross career in history (about 15 mins) I can confirm a cyclo cross bike does make a good alrounder. I put wider mudguards on which would even fit over the cross tyres for the short period I had them on the bike (which I possibly attached with inventive use of zip ties). I used the bike for winter training as the extra clearance was great as was the comfy ride. The brakes drove me mad though - I couldn't get canties or V brakes to work well. Possibly flat bars are a better option? I think the frames still in my parents attic??

by Arthur Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:16 am
Paul - you need old style low profile cantis to get decent braking with drop bar levers. This sort of thing is a very expensive US copy:

http://www.paulcomp.com/neoretro.html

I believe you can also get a widget to fit to V-brakes to improve braking, but I don't know how well that works.

by PhilBixby Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:41 am
I've got ordinary cantis on my town bike with Shimano 105 levers and it all works okay. I looked at the gizmos you can use with v-brakes (the "Travel Agent" is one) but they all looked a bit heath robinson.

by Dave B Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:46 pm
Re. Arthur's post about brakes; cheaper options come courtesy of Avid's Shorty range, Tektro Oryx (good value for money, these, apparently) or Empella Froglegs. Never used V-brakes with Travel Agents or similar so can't comment on the effectiveness of them. Haven't had to take the plunge and shop around for the newer models of brake so far as I'm still using the 20+ year old Modolo cantis that came with my first 'cross frame and (touch wood!) are still in good working order.

Dave B

by Andy J Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:03 pm
With regards brakes, Ive found that cantis work great with STI levers but can cause bad fork judder if pads are not set up spot on. If you want to use V brakes there are various manufacturers producing ones with shorter arms than the MTB versions obviously requiring less cable pull, from talking to people at 3 peaks race last year who were using these v brakes they all raved about them, Empella frog leg cantis are good giving plenty of mud clearence and are the choice of many pro's.

Last season I had ago on a Planet X Uncle John and really did like it. I think it would make a really good alround bike, their spec levels are good value for money also.