Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:56 pm
Hearty congratulations to all Cliftonites that managed to push pedals this weekend.

All the Sunday regulars were kept away by illness, work or visitors. So am guessing The Square was empty this morning, and, if so, that's the first time that's happened since last August.
I did manage to get out for 60km in the afternoon. Atmospheric conditions were uninviting. What can I say? It *was* good to be out, though even better to get home.

I'm tied up again next weekend, but the others should be out. Andy is already making plans for Rosedale....
by paulM Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:47 pm
What can I say - a proper cold, wet & windy weekend. I had a lunchtime appointment so my window of opportunity stretched from 0830 Sunday morning to 1130. For once I actually left the house on time clad in four tops, gortex jacket, tights, knee warmers, overshoes + bags underneath. It was drizzling a bit from the get go but not much - Haxby / Strensall, back road to Sutton, Huby. Up into Crayke, Oulston. By this point I was thinking of ditching the jacket but persevered. A wise choice as by Kilburn it was snowing. Carried on round to Byland Abbey, Wass, Kilburn. By Ampleforth it was just chucking it down with sleet. Nearly bailed and turned right for Yearsley but I was still ok. By Oswaldkirk I was out of time so right up the B road through Gilling, down through Snargate farm and Farlington. I was just about staying warm enough but instead of completely retracing my ride out took a shortcut up the bridleway between Pottery Lane and Usher Lane. I was already blathered anyway. On the plus side it wasnt icy and the wind wasnt blowing me off the road and the roads were quiet except for a knob head overtaking a car at the Priory near Coxwold as I passed them both going the other way! On the negative side - well there really wasn't one. Just a morning of snot management and maintaining some form of forward momentum. Home just after 11:30 and my feet were still dry!
by bernard turgoose Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:53 am
A little late due to still trying to dry out and get warm after a damp cold ride on Saturday, due to there being no other K riders in the Square I took the offer of a ride with the 7 A riders who set out for Boroughbridge and then possibly Ripon. But once I got to Aldwark Bridge I decided to head towards Helperby and Easingwold, but as the rain came down in sheets near before Helperby I took the right turn to Tholthorpe and Raskelf and then into Easingwold, with a quick café stop in Clarks before taking the direct route via Wiggy road and home, 43 miles done and my bike looking as if I had ridden a cyclo cross.