Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by bernard turgoose Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:15 pm
Met up with Sunday group in order to discuss 2017 Challenge Series ride options and planning, so left with small group, including Rob,Steen,Chris & Paul M. Once at Strensall I dropped back due to pace being a bit higher than my normal pace.
I then took a route via Sheriff Hutton, Farlington, Stillington, Easingwold, Helperby, Cundall, Norton le Clay to Boroughbridge café stop at the farm shop in Kirby Hill/Langthorpe with 36 miles done. Then south to Wetherby via A168, and on to Thorpe Arch, Boston Spa, Tadcaster ( checked on progress with the bridge -looking good to open this coming week)! Then traditional route via Catterton, Bilborough, Askham Bryan, getting home at 2.45 with 66.5 miles door to door.
by James Milner Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:01 am
Not having been on the best of form with a heavy cold for the previous couple of days, I decided to put in a guest appearance with the K ride on Saturday. Along with another A ride exile, Tony we were joined by K ride regulars Kev, Jacqui, Pete S, Mark, Alison, Steve and Dawn.

Under grey skies and intermittent rain we headed out via Overton and Beningbrough then made our way through Aldwark and Tollerton on our way to the cafe stop at Langthorpe farm shop. Steve and Dawn left us just before the cafe to continue on their own.

With the roads being the way they are at the moment most of us looked quite a sight as we entered the cafe, with Pete S in particular doing a passable impression of a black and white minstrel. It's a wonder nobody asked for a rendition of 'Mammy'!

The skies had brightened up slightly and the rain abated by the time we left the cafe and headed back via Dunsforth, across the A59 at Whixley and followed the standard route back via Long Marston, Askham Bryan, etc.

I was back through the door at 3pm, a record early for a Saturday ride, with 58 miles on the clock.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxed bike ride at a much slower pace than I'm used to. Just the ticket after being so full of cold for the previous few days.

Many thanks to Kev and his regulars for putting up with us for the day!
by craigdabrown Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:15 pm
There was quite a lot of chat about people feeling under the weather prior to the weekend, so I turned up at The Square in case we were a bit shorthanded for the Rides. Shouldn't have worried as, despite the conditions, there was a good turnout for both the K and A Rides.

Plan was always to do a ride to Boroughbridge, in order to get back in plenty time for the Junior/Go-Ride Awards in the afternoon, and that's how it transpired. I briefly joined the Inters for a spell between Beningbrough and Aldwark but basically a solo effort out via Beningbrough, Aldwark, Helperby and Thornton Bridge and back via Great Ouseburn, Cattal and Long Marston for a rather dirty 53 miles.

The Junior/Go-Ride awards were held in York Sports Club between 4:30pm and 7pm and I can report that it was a great success and fantastic to see such enthusiasm. Well done to AndyJ, BillyG and all the coaches, parents and junior members who made it happen. Bernard, Dave I'Anson and myself attended in order to increase the average age ever so slightly.
by John B Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:57 pm
Saturdays A ride started like the K ride in the rain with Graham, Ian, Kevin,Dr Joe, Richard and myself heading to Pateley Bridge.
The rain kept coming down in various amounts, along with half of us being engulfed in water by a passing car.
Richards premonition came true and just on the outskirts of Pateley Bridge the sun came out.
The river side cafe looked after us well with plenty of black bin liners on the seats to keep the furniture clean.
We headed back home with no rain for a change, between Ripley and Knaresborough Dr Joe's carbon seat post fractured leaving him unable to sit down, with out fear of a medical injury. A phone call to the Specialized bike shop in Harrogate, and a temporary seat post was made available for Joe, we just had to get to Harrogate with Joe having to ride out of the saddle all of the way, which was no mean feet.. Joe very kindly bought us all a coffee while the seat post was changed.
Following our stop we swiftly headed back home and i arrived home with 87 miles door to door.