Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Mike Collis Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:03 pm
Yes maybe somewhere in the centre of town so we can all meet up and then can go in any direction.

by Andy J Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:45 pm
I think the first 2/3 weeks should be used to sample each of the routes that have been mentioned and then get feedback off everyone about what they think. With this in mind can I suggest we meet outside Cycle Heaven at 6.30 and head off in the Bishopthorpe direction to have a look at the Acaster air field route Arthur uses and a circuit of the Knavesmire as suggested by Steve. Plan is to keep it to an hour or so this week and see how it goes. Please pipe up if this dosent suit your needs so we can address any issues and get something going that everyone is happy with.

Regards Andy

by Arthur Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:14 am
Acaster airfield this week then? I should be able to make it.

by Mike Collis Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:52 pm
Yes that sounds good, I will be there.

by Arthur Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:46 am
Arse. I've double booked myself so can't make this week. I can make next week, or if anyone is interested I could do a ride Thursday night. Assuming that there are more people than Mike interested I suggest you just go for it Wednesday.

by Andy J Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 pm
Arthur, could you please give me a brief description of your airfield route please.

by Arthur Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:25 pm
Head out B'thorpe Road. In Bish, take the left turn immediately past the sharp rh turn. Continue past the Ship Inn. At T past the Ship, turn L and head out through Acaster Malbis. At T turn L. This takes you onto the airfield. Follow round. At T, turn R for Appleton Roebuck.

In village, turn L. Follow road over the railway bridges, then turn left for Coulton. Just follow the road round to Copmanthorpe. In Cop aim to head back for Bish (R at T, R at next T, second R (signed) and follow your nose back).

It's pretty obvious on the ground.

gmap pedometer says 17 miles.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1361959

You can extend it by looping round the airfield at Appleton Roebuck - just turn left instead of right and keep riding wihout turning off and you'll end up back on the airfield for another lap.

by Arthur Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm
Oh, and don't be mislead by all the small roads google shows. Most of them are farm tracks that you won't see when cycling

by nickb Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:21 pm
is there a plan tommorow yet? ill try and be there, if i can pry myself out of the door once im in from work

by paulM Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Not planning to be there (but I'll be thinking of you). Not sure of Arthurs follow you nose principle in the dark although I'm sure he'll be there to show you the way? However its right in Colton (go left and you finish up in the services on the A64!) follow the very narrow road to Copmanthorpe taking care on the 6 x 90 deg bends, then its right, right, through the village then left up Station Rd to Bishopthorpe.

by nickb Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:34 am
its ok, i know those roads-usually ride them twice a week!

by Andy J Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:59 am
Hi Nick
Plan is 6.30 start from cycleheaven, out through Bish, Back in york an hour or so later.

by Arthur Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:57 am
paulM wrote:Not planning to be there (but I'll be thinking of you)

Good point about my confusing L and R yet again. I can't make it this week in the end (see above). Hence the route.

by Dr Dave Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:14 am
Did 60 miles yesterday with young James - did Hill Climb course twice as training/familiarisation for James for Sunday.

I was hoping to get along for this evening but today my legs are heavy and aching. I'm not keen to overdo it hence my question: how fast/hard is this evening's ride likely to be?

by nickb Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:40 pm
Tonight was succesful with 5 riders despite the rain and the **** ***** in the clio (put whatever you like there!) Hope it stays as consistent as the chaingang does in summer.