Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Andy J Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:09 pm
There has been some talk in recent weeks about getting a mid week training ride organised during the winter. Dont know what peoples thoughts are on this? Wednesday nights have been mentioned along with two circuits, one around Bishopthorpe and the other around the University/ Heslington. Just thought I'd put a post on the discussion board to see if there is enough of us interrested to make this happen, so far Ian kent, Simon Hudson and myself are all game. Suggestions are welcome from anyone else who wishes to be a part of it, which night, circuit, meeting time and for how long all need to be discussed along with a starting date, please feel free to put your ideas forward.

Regards Andy

by stevesavage Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:55 pm
Good idea Andy.

In the winter I use a circuit down Tadcaster Road, Sim Balk Lane, Church Lane in Bishopthorpe, Bishopthorpe Road, Campleshon Road, Knavesmire Road and repeat.

Most of the roads are lit or fairly quiet.

by nickb Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:34 am
I go out often through the week with lots of lights on, i dont stick to town, prfer to go out on the lanes like normal but am very keen for anything in the evening. Wedesday nights sound good and beats the turbo!

by Dr Dave Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:41 am
Not sure I'd be able to make it very often - and not sure I'd be able to keep up but the idea sounds like a good one. More safety in numbers too.

by Rob Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:13 am
I'd be quite keen to join in, but wouldn't be a regular until Dec. Would suggest a slightly later start so most can get home from work - 7 or 7-30?
I'm usually like Nick and take plenty of candle power out into the lanes around Bossall, but will fit in with the consensus. Could even use the discussion board to vary it week to week.

Good shout Andy - you sound like the perfect ride leader to me!

R

by Arthur Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:12 pm
I'd be keen.

Route-wise, Uni/Heslington can be very busy with cars and traffic calming. I'd suggest heading out through Bish and doing laps round Acaster airfield. It's all unlit but that's not a problem with decent lights.

For me it'd have to be earlier rather than later. Meeting at 7.30 means eating very late. I'd rather leave work, get on the bike and go.

Arthur

by Arthur Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:14 pm
I missed Rob's suggestion of lanes round Bossal. I do these on an evening sometimes as well and they are good. Why don't we vary it a bit?

by IanH Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:53 pm
I also fancy giving it a try but not every week, i will keep an eye on the discussion forum for the locations if they are to change to various routes, and also must invest in some decent lighting.

by Andy J Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:52 pm
Good to see lots of interest and suggestions.
Now to get this organised seems like we need to establish what eveyone thinks of the ideas put forward with regards route and start time. I think having 2 or 3 routes that we alternate between is a good idea. So far it seems that wednesday is good for everyone, so now how about sorting out a start time?

Regards Andy

by nickb Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:27 pm
A suggestion about times, assuming most people finish work 5-5.30ish? And commute by bike? The hardest thing to do in winter is get home and go back out again! So, earlier the better like 5.45-6 maybe? just a thought.

by Arthur Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:38 pm
nicb - that's what I'd like to come. Come straight from work with a small rucksack, ride for an hour(ish) then go home. It's winter and cold so dragging myself back out is hard.

If later works better for other people then that's cool, but I'd only make the odd one then. I'll post a poll in a new thread (can't add a poll to a thread unfortunately)

by Andy J Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:54 pm
Many thanks to Arthur for putting up the poll. Will go with the majority as it seems 6.30 suits the most of us. When are we looking to start these? do people want to make use of the daylight we have left for a couple of weeks more and then get this training ride going or do we want to start it sooner?

Regards Andy

by Arthur Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 pm
What daylight? I'm happy to start next week

by Mike Collis Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:46 am
Yes me too, I am happy with next week

by Arthur Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:02 am
So all that's left is to decide where! Leave where ever it is a 6.30 sharp, aim for an hour + a bit riding?