Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:42 am
So dear reader, I can tell by that far-off look that you realise you've missed a rare opportunity to add the Winter Solstice Tan Hill ride to your palmares... You could have left the Xmas shopping to Amazon, and joined some of the most experienced riders on some of the finest cycling roads in Europe....... maybe next year?

Conditions were about as benign as they could realistically be for December, no wind, no rain, no frost. Just bright skies and deserted roads. 230km of fine group riding by George, Tom, Jonny, Muzzy, Steen, Andy and self. You are all officially awesome.

Also, well done to Steen, Andy and Jonny who've joined me on all three of the winter challenge trilogy. Three memorable rides.

Back to some normal clubruns ion the New Year.
by craigdabrown Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:58 am
8 riders (Kevin, Jacqui, Claire, Darryl, Nick, DaveI, PeteS and self) out on a glorious December morning for a bit of a potter around the lanes West of York in a, sligthly pathetic - given it was Tan Hill weekend, attempt to burn off some calories prior to our Christmas lunch.

Lots of mud on the roads and a bit of a slide for PeteS on Aldwark Bridge but no harm done - Pete always looks classy, even during a tumble. I then had a puncture heading into Great Ouseburn and the wealth of cycling experience in the group ensured that changing it turned into a right faff, ha-ha.

No further incident and 45 miles later we were being greeted by Stu at the Cross Keys where, joined by the A Riders, 15 sat down for a festive lunch, some rehydration and a cycling-themed quiz. Team Kev scored an impressive 35 out of 39.

Big thank you to everyone who turned up on Saturday and to Stuart and the staff at the Cross Keys for a lovely meal.

Finally, an even bigger thank you to everyone in Clifton C.C. who ensures that the weekend rides, the MTB rides, the GoRide section, the Race day, the T.T. series, the Committee, social events and all other aspects of the Club continue to function.

Perhaps 2017 will be the year of the volunteer (just saying!!!).
by paulM Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:34 pm
Tan Hill for me. As already mentioned a benign day which at least meant the weather wasnt an issue or a worry - probably about 15 deg C warmer than the coldest me and Rob have done this ride. However there were a few other small factoids that made a big difference yesterday. Seven riders is probably a record and meant a turn on the front meant half an hour before the front would be seen again - no one missed a turn or had a wobble for 145 miles and the difference on the climbs barely required a foot down. No punctures or mechanicals - it all adds up! I cant say for sure but this must be the quickest - I was home by 6:40 despite two lengthy cafe stops and a few photo stops and the pace never seemed to slacken much. I dont think we have ever left the second cafe in daylight? Thanks for the company guys!