Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by ClaireG Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:45 pm
Good to be out Saturday and the day was positively balmy compared to the forecast (‘balmy’ or ‘barmy’ as Darryl put it during our ride!). I didn’t take my waterproof out of my pocket all day, which was not predicted, however, it did seem that someone had forgotten to turn the daylight on at times.

8 of us in the square, rode out together to Flaxton and Bulmer, before Julia took Les off for a steadier ride towards the Wolds. The 6 remaining: Nick, Alison, PeteS, Craig, Darryl and self headed on to Castle Howard, Slingsby and Helmsley.

A warm, enjoyable chit chat & lunch in the cafe, but we were conscious of ‘daylight’ and so indulged slightly quicker than usual, leading to a prompt depart.

Return route via Nunnington, Hovingham, Coulton, Stearsby & Farlington. Very quiet out in the lanes & home in daylight, or at least in no darker than the morning!

Nick’s knee was giving him some grief - I hope you can sort that out soon Nick and also excellent digging in from Alison who is recovering from illness. Surely turning out Sat was worth double word score?

ClaireG
by James Milner Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:48 am
Like the K and J groups the A ride had not expected to be out Saturday, but a quick look out the window first thing and a check of the forecast on line revealed that the wet stuff had indeed stopped falling and was not scheduled to put in a return for the rest of the day.

Five of us turned up in the square for the ride to Masham; Johns B & G, Graham, Ben and myself. Out via Aldwark Bridge, Boroughbridge, Ripon and Grewelthorpe and back via West Tanfield, Melmerby, Cundall and Helperby. Not a drop of rain all day and mild temperatures made for an enjoyable day out with the added bonus of a cafe break at our favorite watering hole, Johnny Baghdad's in Masham.

It was noted that Ben only did one turn at the front all day. To be fair it lasted from leaving York in the morning to returning in the afternoon and consisted of Ben riding at the front and the rest of us trying to keep up with him! We considered chucking a stick in his spokes but Graham had a more subtle tactic up his sleeve, he just kept puncturing in order to give us all a breather. On the third occasion closer inspection of the tyre revealed that the side wall was split. Fortunately John B came to the rescue with a piece of old tyre to use as a patch inside, which got Graham back to York without further incident.

Back in York by 4pm with 76 miles in the tank.

Thanks guys! :D
by Rob Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:03 pm
The Sunday gang went west for a change. Took in a little gentle Rough Stuff out the back of Ripley to avoid the busy Pateley B road. Then Birstwith and Menwith Hill (new lane for me). Blubberhouses and Askwith. Café in Otley then back via Norwood Edge and the gated road across to Pannel.

Always a source of helpful information, our lot. George was complaining that his new mudguards were rubbish as they kept rubbing. Quick as a flash the answer came back that "it's not the mudguards, its the rest of the bike!" From there things turned into "clearance envy" and eventually, "look at the brazings on that!" How those winter miles fly by...

Fabulous day to be out - have never seen so many bikies in the lanes in November!

See you next week
by bernard turgoose Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:56 pm
Having made the decision not to risk the weather on the K ride, 3 of us set out from the Sq John Clark, Mark Finch and self, we decided on a Wolds ride so out via Bossall, Howsham, Leavening and then across the roman road to the A166 ( top of Garrowby), with some superb views in all directions from the ridge and then on the descent to Millington. ( I had to justify not being out in the dank damp atmosphere on Saturday). When we cam across two guys struggling to patch up a slit tyre with silver paper or packaging from a choc' bar ( it most have had Claires input on its origin)!!
It was of course Dave & Sue not on their tandem. So I ensured that they took my fold up just in case to get home safely, does anyone in the A group have such a thing?
by Dr Dave Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:00 pm
bernard turgoose wrote:does anyone in the A group have such a thing?

I carry a couple of Park Tool tyre boots which will cope with gashes up to an inch OK. Would recommend these to anyone. I've only ever needed to use one twice and have ridden the repaired tyres for 100s of miles on each occasion before junking them.

Keep pedalling!
by DavidShort Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:35 pm
Our Sunday ride to the Rambler's at Millington was, as Bernard alluded to, was interrupted with a flat at the top of Garrowby. Ho hum, no worries, plenty of practise ensured a swift replacement of tube and duly pumped up with one of those wonderful Co2 inflators. However, it immediately popped again, before even setting forth. A closer examination revealed a very neat slit in the tyre which, when the tube was inflated, pushed through then nipped and punctured the tube. So, a careful rethink. The repair was effected by adhering a patch on the inside of the tyre supplemented by a 'Ride Bar' silver wrapper. As we inflated for a second time with bated breath who should come over the hill? Bernard, Mark & John. It felt rather like the 7th cavalry appearing in those Western's of old, ( showing my age). It was reassuring moral support and Bernard kindly lent me his folding tyre in the event the repair didn't hold. It did, hoorah for that! Despite only having had one other tyre rip whilst touring in Europe the moral of the story is always have a fall back position, which isn't just chocolate bar wrappers. I have it on good authority that the new plastic £5 notes work well but my Yorkshire genes would not allow such an expensive repair! Still, a great ride out, superb company. A big sigh of relief when we got home though!! By the way the cause of the split tyre was a rather sharp flint. no wonder stone age man used them to good effect making arrow heads!

Cheers David & Suzie