Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by PhilBixby Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 pm
...and just to confirm the matching arrangements for the morning vets race. I'll be at Sheriff village hall from around 8am, signing-on for the vets starts at 9am and the race heads off at 10am. Please can we have all marshals and drivers there by 9:15 at the latest.

Drivers:-
A/B group (40-49yo's) lead car Ben Gibson off at 10:00
C/D group (50-59yo's) lead car Steve Savage off at 10:03
E/F/G group (60-75yo's) lead car Billy Geraghty off at 10:06
Broomwagon Ian Hagyard following the E/F/G group.

We don't have race radios or NEG outriders but we do have the same TM control of junctions, and the old blokes basically know how to behave on the roads so you should all have a peaceful drive simply keeping the lead rider of your group in your rear view mirror. I'll give you magnetic roof signage before the start. As with the BC drivers, please grab an envelope with cash towards petrol in it from me!

Marshals:-
Dave Cook
Julia Coats
Craig Brown
Paul Drabble
Peter Hook

I'll introduce you all to the traffic management crew and they'll brief you and work out which junctions you'll be working at. The red flag duties at bridges will be taken on by TM operatives.

If any of you are able to get there a wee bit before 9:15 then I can always do with help with signing-on! I'll be judging the finish using the trusty Microsoft Surface Pro but if anyone has friends / loved ones / relations they can send to the finish to help note down numbers across the line, then that's always helpful.

Finally, many, many thanks to Cath and Muzzy who are once again handling the catering arrangements, meaning there will be food and drink after each race. Please bring coins to lob in the jar and proceeds will go to a good cause (usually the air ambulance, if I recall correctly).
by PhilBixby Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:49 pm
I should point out, Ben, that this means you'll be finished driving duties at the same time Jamie Sharp finishes, namely around ten fifteen so you'll have lots of time to warm up for the afternoon race :roll:
by Cam B Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:07 am
A great day's racing yesterday. Sunny on the whole but blustery winds split the field in the BC race making it interesting to watch. Also made it relatively easy for Phil and I to judge at the finish which is what we like! The race ran at high speed. Commissaire reckoned about 27 mph average. Some good Clifton representation in the event. Well done guys!

Full results will be found here at some point:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... dd41d02c46

Race was won by James Falconer; second was Zeb Kyffin and third was Alexander Konijin

Big thanks to all the volunteers who helped out and made the event possible.
Lots of positive feedback from riders and others on the day. Also had this nice comment in an email from a rider:

Thanks to you and the team at Clifton CC for organizing such a great race today. You even managed to organize blustery winds, which made the racing more interesting. Very impressive!

A great day- from great race manual to a fab cuppa and cake afterwards.

Many thanks

I won't be organizing any races next season....If anyone would like to have a go at being a "Race Organizer" next season more than happy to offer any help and advice :D
by Cam B Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:55 pm
And another nice comment by email.....

Just a quick note to pass on my sincere thanks from me and my team mates for putting on a fantastic race yesterday. I’ve never ridden the course before which was very challenging in the windy conditions, in fact brutal in places. The whole organisation and marshaling/NEGs were great. We put on a couple of races in the North east so know how much work goes into a well organised event.
by mart66 Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:21 pm
Well done to Phil, Cam and everyone who helped out.

Very successful couple of races.

My first vet's race was as hard as I expected! Managed to make it to the finish and, like most racers who finish outside of the top 10, I'll claim around 13th-ish! Damian fared better and won the sprint from the reduced peloton. This after being involved in two breaks and sticking his nose in the wind on many occasions. Chapeau!

Also, let me volunteer for 'red flag at Farlington' at next year's BC race. Nice patch of grass and 30 seconds from the local pub where it's £2 a pint!

Cheers
by DamianE Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:50 pm
Nothing wrong with a recovery drink Martin!

4th A I think and 8th across the line this year so going backwards after my 3rd and 2nd in my previous two attempts. Didn't have it, don't know if it was mental or otherwise but I made the break twice and both times sat up/dropped after Sherif when I couldn't face anymore false flat with the wind. Must man up more! I have to say though, it felt harder than previous editions Martin. The first lap was its standard smash fest but even chasing we didn't spent much(any!) time freewheeling along. Not many left come the end.

On the plus side my daughter liked ringing the bell and now wants to do bike races so will be down York sport soon!

Thanks to all involved.
by paulM Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:46 pm
And £145 raised for Yorkshire Air Ambulance on the refreshments - our best yet. A good day out either riding or helping - it always is and well done to Phil & Cam for making it happen!
by PhilBixby Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:40 am
Well, I'll have to claim 13th or thereabouts for getting my thanks in - a poor performance after some previous top placings but put it down to work overload!

Many, many thanks to marshals Dave C, Julia, Craig, Paul Drabble and Peter Hook who did a fine job with the Traffic Management crew, and drivers Ben, Steve, Billy and Ian who kept calm throughout (in Ben's case even when he'd ended up lapping the field and sitting up the chuff of the ambulance with Jamie Sharp tightening his shoes for the final sprint in his rear view mirror!).

Big thanks also to Paul and Cath (and indeed Peter) who once again sorted out all the food and drink and provided refreshments - helping the Yorkshire Air Ambulance in the process. And finally full marks to Cam for doing a brilliant job running the afternoon BC race and helping me with set-up and unglamorous jobs (from setting up the signage to buying bog rolls).

It was a really good day - like Cam I've had a trickle of emails from riders all saying very complimentary things. If anyone's interested, there are photos of the day from local photographer Craig Z at http://www.craigzadphotos.co.uk/clifton-road-races

Also like Cam, I won't be organising this event next year - my work life has become too busy. It's a very popular event - we had over 150 entrants between the LVRC and BC races - and the course and HQ both work well. It's not a massive amount of work but if it's to continue then the club needs a couple of people to step forward and take it on. I'll pass on detailed instructions on how to deal with the vets race. It'll be fun. Honest.