Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:39 am
How did the RR go then?
And what about the other rides?

I was away camping at Runswick Bay (Claire's b'day weekend). I rode back in the evening, getting back well after dark - 90 odd solo and very hilly miles into a headwind - feel a bit delicate this morning......

by like my bike Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:58 am
Road Race

Great day final results below, Matt punctured in the road race. Im sure Paul will give us a graphic account of his day.

Big thanks to ALL volunteers, marshals, drivers, caters, friends & family (30) who gave up their Sunday to make it possible. Special thanks to Andy Fraser from Cycleworks for driving lead car.

1-Dominic Munnelly Gosforth RC
2-David Compston Bridlington
3-Shaun Tyson Adept Precision RT
4-Jon Sturman Derwentside CC
5-Simon Keeton Rutland CC
6-Jimmy Wright Preston Wheelers
7-Paul Musgrave Clifton CC
8-Mark Jacobi Rutland CC
9-Simon Owens YSTWYTH CC
10-Craig Stephenson Boneshakers RT

A J

by Tullio Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:59 pm
7 of us headed to Dalby Forest on Saturday for some MTBing.

3 headed off to do 2 fast laps of the Red Route whilst the rest of us did a mixture of Red & Black at a (slightly) more leisurely pace. Good weather and an early start meant we had the trails mostly to ourselves for a while and still riding in ideal conditions.

Chris kindly introduced us to his new game of 'MTB Dominos' but that was the nearest to any dramas.

by stevesavage Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:26 pm
I had a grandstand view of most of the race being in the second car on the road. The first lap seemed largely uneventful with the exception of a rider puncturing within the first kilometre and a couple of riders being dropped. On the second lap the effort started to take its toil with 10 riders being dropped and 1 rider breaking his chain at the bottom of Terrington village. Unfortunately Matt Shipley suffered a puncture at the start of this lap which was bad luck as he seemed strong and had no difficulty staying with the leaders. The bunch was still mostly together at the start of Lap 3 which was completed in 28 minutes (the same as Laps 1 & 2). I couldn't see but I think it was on this lap that the winning move was made by Dominic Munnelly and Dave Compston who stayed away together until Munnelly attacked his companion again through Terrington village to win overall. Behind the leaders Paul Bridgen who had been sitting at the back of the bunch for most of the race made his move and attacked quickly opening a gap. Unfortunately he was not able to stay away and was caught at the top of Bulmer Bank on the last lap. Another rider unshipped his chain on the steepest part of the climb but was quickly helped by spectators. On the road to Ganthorpe a group of 6 including Paul Musgrave attacked and stayed away to the finish to contest the sprint for positions 3 to 8, with the remaining bunch finishing about a minute later.
Thanks to all the marshals who did a superb job in controlling the traffic and helped to make the race safe and enjoyable for everyone involved.

In other news Iain Millns and myself competed in the Rockingham Wheelers 25 near Doncaster on Saturday. Iain was in the unenviable position of being Julian Rambo’s minute man but did a good ride with 1:07. I just missed out on my target of beating the hour by a mere 8 seconds!

by MarkA Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:26 pm
2 day event for me
Sat i cycled to Pluto with Liz and the kids
Holly did v well on her solo i thought to get there and back
2 cafe strategy at old station cafe on cycle path
rather good but possibly a bit close for club runs

Sun out to the rr
v impressive organisation and performances

by paulM Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:32 pm
I can't believe it - I think I had all the good luck that deserted my team mates yesterday.
I think its fair to say I wasn't putting in a particularly sparkling performance. I was just in the top half of the field in the time trial and I was ok on the climbs in the road race - but I thought the pace was quite steady. I'd only been to the front of the race once, sprinting across to a small group on the 3rd lap before Terrington which was quickly caught. When Paul Bridgen went away soon after, that gave me another excuse to sit back. I thought Paul had a good chance of staying away as the bunch was daudling and he had pulled well clear as we started the last lap. But Bulmer proved to be a climb too far and as the bunch caught him near the top I accelerated close to the front of the bunch and got to the front on the Ganthorpe road to help bring back a small group. In Terrington another small group went clear and I managed to jump across to it near the top of the climb. It had some strong riders in it plus myself. I managed a few turns but it was The Derwentside rider, John Sturman + Rutlands Simon Keeton, a previous race winner, who were the main driving force. I realised we were pulling away from the bunch and that a top 10 place overall and in the road stage was on the cards. I was almost embarrased to take 3rd in the group "sprint" but the others seemed happy to be up there in the overall. I was just in the right place at the right time with the right people. But at least I can take home the road race trophy from the club dinner with a decent ride.
Commiserations to Matt for puncturing so early - there is nothing worse, and to Paul B who had the guts to risk it all.
Thanks to all who made it such a great day. A full field on this circuit means we cannot be doing much wrong.
More Clifton riders needed next year please (remember the winner yesterday was a 4th cat) - this is a real road race.......

by Paul B Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:51 am
Well done to everyone involved. Good organisation, circuit, HQ, and as Paul mentioned if you get a full field at this time of year it means a lot.

by like my bike Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 am
Overall times TT + RR 2006 v 2007

Winner 06
1st 2:32:12
2nd 2:32:25
Muzzy(14th in RR) 2:34:58

Winner 07
1st 2:27:03
2nd 2:28:37
Muzzy (7th in RR) 2:29:50

A J

by Kit Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:30 pm
It sounds like Sunday's club RR was another successful and well run event. Well done to the riders and organisers/helpers alike.
I rode the Peterborough CC race and finished 2nd.

by Arthur Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:06 pm
How many points is that so far this year then Kit? I suspect the club road race championship is safe from challenge for this year :)