Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:54 pm
Just 5 of us for the latest Challenge Ride on Sunday. Early start under grey skies, but with the promise of sun to come. Indeed, we were adjusting wardrobes by the top of the wonderfully names "Trundlegate" out of N. Newbold. I always get a buzz from riding over the Humber Bridge, then after a quick Coke stop in Barton, it was on down over the Lincolnshire Wolds. This really is great cycling country. Quiet lanes, rolling hills, big skies. I'd finessed the route following our experiences 2 years ago and none of us expected the 16% grunt out of Nettleton...

By 1230 we were sat in the sun outside Grayz Tea Room in the centre of Lincoln. With 140k already in the legs we were in no rush to be on our way, but eventually....

The route back was much flatter (somehow we'd found 1000m of climb in the morning) and we followed the flood defenses up the banks of the Trent as far as the Humber, then round to Goole and home through Howden, Skipwith etc.

Serious bragging rights go to Jonny, James, IanH and AndrewNG. Nobody showed a chink in their armour and despite the headwind return, our ongoing average speed was on the rise all the way in. 275km at 28.3. Less than 12 hours door to door. I felt a bit flakey all day today, but hopefully will come round...