Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by BroomWagon Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:38 pm
I had my bike into Cycleworks a while ago for a bit of work and I told them to put a new chain and cassette on whilst they were at it. When I've replaced chains myself, I've just counted the links of the existing and put the same length on, of the new. But in this case when in the small ring at the front and either of the two smallest cogs at the back, the arm with the jockey wheel is so far back that the chain is rubbing on the little metal bit that sticks out at the bottom of the arm. The chain hasn't stretched much, less than I thousand miles on it. I assume taking a link or two out will sort it?

by PhilBixby Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:24 pm
It *does* sound too long, and removing a link may be a good idea, but you probably shouldn't be using that combination of chainring and cog too often - certainly not inside ring / outside cog. Before whipping that link out, see how the chain looks on the big ring and the inner few cogs - you're more likely to use that combo occasionally (getting over short, sharp rises while on the big ring) and the arm shouldn't be yanked too far forward in that situation.

by Arthur Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:55 pm
Chain is too long. I'd get cycleworks to sort it out. You'll have to take *two* links out of course, and if it's a 10 speed chain you'll need a suitable joining pin.

by fatsprinter Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:57 pm
The generally accepted way of checking chain length is to have the chain in the 53x12 or equivalent and the jockey wheels should be vertically in line with each other. This is the most common method and one we used when I worked in a bike shop. Get the shop to make it the correct length if it does not meet these parameters. If it does, it may be because you have compact 34x50 chainrings. If this is the case, done use your smallest on the rear and use the big one on the front. Make sure if it is 10speed shimano to use the joining pin and if 10speed campagnolo to use their tool.

Good luck

De tijd gaat snel, gebruik hem wel!
Schaarf!!

by BroomWagon Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:41 am
Yes, I don't normally ride in that combination and never in the smallest ring, smallest cog. But if somethings not quite right on my bike it does tend to annoy. It's 9 speed so I assume I don't need a joining pin?

by Arthur Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:14 pm
9 speed doesn't need a joining pin normally. Just join carefully with a normal chaintool.

by BroomWagon Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 pm
Thanks for the advice guys.