Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Willy H Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:37 am
Bookings need to be firmed-up now, to get the best value train fares back from Berwick-on-Tweed, but especially to ensure we get the bike reservations! When I came back from recce-ing the route on Sunday 5 out of 6 bike spaces were taken, so our claim must be made now!

On Sunday I rode the 2nd leg, from Hadrian's wall to Berwick, arriving just after 5 from an 8.30 start with 2 cafe stops.
Day 2 ride itinery will look like this, from overnighting at Edmundbyers YHA:
Edmundbyers-Hexham-Bellingham-Otterburn: 3 hours... rolling countryside

Cafe at 'Impromptu' Tea Room in Elsdon, a REAL classic cyclist's haunt!

Elsdon-Rothbury-Alnwick-Alnmouth: 2 hours... super-scenic roads, long-ish easy climbs, exhilarating longggg descents!

Alnwick/Alnmouth: Cafe and optional GNER return to York option

Alnwick-Seahouses-Bamburgh-Berwick: 3 1/2 hours, mostly on Cycle Network Route 1, the Coast and Castle. Scotland up ahead, sea always on your right. You'll feel like you're on holiday!

Berwick-York: GNER just over 2 hours, arriving about 8.30pm

Overall the Great North Ride is not especially hard, wonderful countryside, excellent (mostly) roads, little traffic, no motorbikers and a real sense of accomplishment approaching 'Furthest North' along this fabulous coast.

Basic costs will be: YHA £12 Train (if booked now) as little as £15 + food

YHA 1 x 6 person and 1x 3 person rooms booked

The Great Ride North has the makings of a new CliftonCC classic: be part of it!
Book now, via discussion, via wh6@york.ac.uk or text 0797 4867301: bookings close Friday Sep7th, as I'll be away in Holland from then.