Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by DavidShort Tue May 10, 2016 9:20 am
Well it was Suzie's idea actually which, in a moment of weakness I agreed to. More fool me! Anyway, that was months ago and there have been many miles, many climbs in wind rain hail blood sweat and tears which got us to the start line at 6am on Sunday morning. Amazingly the weather forecast was most favourable if a little hot towards the end of the day. Based on my previous performances on a half bike I had plotted our waypoints and times to give us some idea as to how well, or not we were performing. We had a support team meeting us at various points to supplement the two official feed stations so timing was useful to coordinate rendezvous. Only one other tandem could be seen and proved to be the only other oil tanker team foolhardy enough to tackle the 112 miles and 12k feet of climb.

Shortly after setting off we passed other Clintonites heading the opposite way from Ambleside where they stayed the night, making their way to the start. After a 5 mile warm up, bang straight into the steep Holbeck Lane, Troutbeck then bang again onto Kirkstone pass. We were on target here 1hr from the start to top of the pass, brilliant. The descent to Glenridding is absolutely superb until bang Materdale End up to the A 66. Again spot on timing, 8am by this point. On to the A66 where we gave the tandem it's head, full gas where according to Strava we averaged 33mph for 3 miles, dragging a huge train of half bikes in our wake. Hitting Keswick at 8.25 we were ahead of our eta and ready for our first brew and date crunch from our support team.

Next stage was the wonderful run down Borrowdale before bang, Honister we had already decided to walk the really steep bit, only 50yrds before cycling the rest of the way, passing walking half bikes as well. Hoorah for tandem! Next the descent. Brakes full on, hands hurting like hell, can't let the plot go one inch. A rider had just binned it on the descent and looked in a bad way, a stark reminder of how quickly and how horrible it can all go wrong!

Next the winch up Newland Hause a quick descent and bang Winlatter. no respite on this ride! The crowds were amazing and at the top the nearest we will get to a TdF mountain stage, cowbells, banners cheering, just brilliant. Over the top and a respite and some steady paced riding onto Loweswater before the aptly named Fangs Brow. Our support team were there but nothing needed so agreed to meet up at Ennerdale Bridge, on schedule for 12noon. We made that, bang on time and after a refs break, application of factor 30 and leg stretch we were on our way again.

Slam dunk, Cold Fell and the 20per cent climb to the cattle grid before thedraining relentless climb over. Still, unlike previous years it was not cold. If anything, getting a bit hot! We arrived at Calder Bridgehead station and timing point at 12.45 with 20 miles to go and despite knowing we had the Hardknott and Wryenose climbs we knew we had cracked it. Setting off from Calder Bridge one forgets there is a cheeky but brutal climb over Irton Pike. By this time the legs were really tiring and every last gear inch was used for al it's worth.

Then, you see it, you have to look up, even 5 miles away to see it all and the enormity hits you. Hardknott 30 percent at 95 miles, whose idea was this. By now the heat was up to 28c and we were suffering. We rode on as best we could but relented dismounted and walked up. So did the majority by the look of it. There was so much serious suffering going on by now. We did get back on after the silly steep bit and then the seemingly vertical drop the other side with hair pin bends. The hands were screaming as I Clenched the brakes for all I was worth dreading a cable popping or something else. Many were walking their bikes down. Once at the bottom, what a relief, only ONLY Wryenos to go. We managed most of it but heat exhaustion and general fatigue was taking it's toll on both of us. I was getting twinges of cramp and Suzie was dehydrating so we walked the last bit.

Only 12 miles to go! We fair zoomed the last bit though we were held up by a bloody bus and Sunday motorists clogging the road up and spoiling our rythmn.

At long last we were on the final stretch and Grasmere was in sight. And what a sight! Over the line in a total elapsed time of 10hrs 30 mins total riding time 9hrs 1minute. Delighted!! It was great to catch up with the other Cliftonite 'Freders', all who seemed to have enjoyed the ride and will no doubt post up their individual adventures.

In summary a truly magnificent day with fantastic support from enthusiastic and inspiring spectators, fantastic camaraderie and a level of suffering unimaginable. One of the highlights was being passed by the team Hope technology chain gang who were chaperoning Robb Jebb to his incredible record breaking ride of 5hrs 47 mins at an average speed of just under 20mph, simply incredible. The most boring part was the numbers of calls we had from well meaning cyclists and spectators, 'she's not pedalling you know'. What started off as a polite ha ha from Suzie degenerated into an expletive by the gazilionth time we bad heard it!

Final note goes to the awesome stoking of Suzie. I'm so proud of the way she worked so effing hard and trusted me totally on what must be the scariest of rides to rival the most terrifying fair ground ride. I couldn't do it. They do say that whichever direction your marriage is going a tandem will get you there quicker. Well, we are still together!

Would I do it again? No, not on a tandem. 2 entrants out of 2000 entries is a bit of a clue, the other team by the way were a good 30yrs our junior. I've done it twice before on a half bike, would I again? Hmm, never say never I say.

Kind regards David & Suzie