Clifton CC Discussion Board

A place to talk about anything! Want to find someone to ride with? Get help on mending things? Organise lifts?

Moderator: Moderators

by Rob Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:29 pm
What's been going on then?
Heard there was a minor peleton of 17 riders joining Kevin yesterday morning - how did it go?
I think Phil and Muzzy were both in a RR today somewhere?
Heard that Matt rode the junior Tour of Wales last weekend - 5 stages over three days and it sounds like an absolute belter of a race. Unfortunately Matt was still struggling with a gammy knee but battled to the finish.
Today's clubrun was a real "select group" (indeed so "select" that any fewer and it wouldn't have been a "group"!) Fine ride up to Thornton Dale, then round Dalby Forest Drive and back up Troutsdale. Then a ride home across the northern bit of the Wolds. A bit windy on the exposed bits but this really is a classic route.

by PhilBixby Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:26 pm
Despite looming vets status, yer memory's still working, Rob :wink:

Muzzy, Paul Bridgen and I were Team Clifton at the Dinnington RC 2nds/3rds/4ths road race this afternoon; there had been a vet's race this morning so we arrived to the very homely scene of elderly men eating cake. There was a stiff westerly but it stayed dry - just - for the 18 laps giving 63 miles. A group of maybe 10 got away about halfway through and vanished into the distance, leaving everyone in the bunch to just try and wear each other out. Paul B had a couple of forays off the front and got himself in the right place at the right time at the finish; I left before the results came out but he reckoned around 10th - Paul? Muzzy and I finished somewhere near the front of the bunch but nil points. Muzzy reckoned he felt crap; for me it was about as good as it gets! (And it was me last race of the season - pipe'n'slippers now until next spring).

by ClaireG Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:19 pm
But Phil, is your established veteran status making your memory forget the final event of the season, our Club Hill Climb??

I'm sure your Joe Beer (drinking beer?) training plan can carry you through to compete for the Club Vet title??

As for the Club Saturday ride this weekend gone, 17 (yes, 17!) riders left the square.

It was a glorious day and a glorious ride, one of Kevin's finest fractal routes taking in Kirby Underdale, Birdsall, Norton, Coneysthorpe and how else do you get 40 miles under your belt and a Terrington lunch only actually 12 miles from York!!:lol:

Don't underestimate this Saturday Social ride, 65miles at av 15.6mph is not tootling in my book.

Thanks Kevin.

by Paul B Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:54 pm
Following Phil's post the group I was in managed to catch the leaders. Unfortunately 2 had already gone up the road filling the first places, and I came in seventh. Prizes were down to sixth. Typical.

by Arthur Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:04 pm
Training ride on Saturday saw five out and five back for a brisk-ish wander round the old classic route (Leppington/Leavening/Kirkham). Jonty headed off with Tony Grant but I don't know where they went.

Good ride for our group with everyone staying together.

by Kit Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:15 am
I rode the Wanlockhead RR in a very wet and windy Ayrshire. The course is fantastic (apart from the road surfaces) - out to a big loop taking in the long climb up to Wanlockhead and then back into an evil headwind to finish on the flat at Muirkirk. I was pleased with the way I rode, bridging to a small lead group on a climb and then riding away from all but one on the long climb. We two grovelled our way back over the apparently ploughed road surface, keeping our lead at around a minute and a half. Unfortunately, at the finish Evan the Oliphant packed his sprint and trundled over the line first.

by Dave B Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 am
Rode the Hambleton RC cyclo-cross event based on a course around the leisure centre in Northallerton, with the weather not very typical of the 'cross season to begin with! Nice, technical course and unusually 100% rideable despite it being so complex. First few laps were incredibly fast, then I started to get into my stride and made up a bit of ground until the rain came down; I hit the deck on a slippery wooden bridge, and all the hard work ended up being for nothing! Pressed on regardless and finished a lowly 44th out of 45, although it was thoroughly enjoyable (in spite of acquiring a sore lower back :( ) and I felt that I actually rode pretty well. Stuart and Gary Wearmouth took 1st & 3rd spots respectively, sandwiching York Cycleworks' own Jamie Sharp who came in 2nd.
Only the first race of the season, so hoping for better things in the next couple of outings.

Dave B

by Iain M Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:33 am
On Saturday, I did the Cleveland Coureurs "10" on T102 - an out-and-back on the A19 near Crathorne. No PB but a good workout.

by stevesavage Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:06 pm
I rode the Hull Thursday Warter Hilly TT on Saturday afternoon. Very strong head wind made the outward section quite hard but good fun. Incredibly hot and sunny though - I think I managed to get sun stroke afterwards!